Manifesto for equality in marriage
Modern marriages are not what they used to be, they need new rules of the game, here are a few suggested ones.
- Personal preferences including those related to dress, food, hobbies, use of social media will be respected with no pressure from in-laws or relatives.
- Bot the partners must share equal responsibility of caring for each other’s parents, extended family responsibilities if any, while each would remain the primary caregiver for their own parents.
- Both partners have an equal right to pursue–or not pursue–a career of their choice and play the role of primary breadwinner.
- If both choose to have an active professional life, the responsibility of child-rearing and home management will be shared equally.
- Together, the spouses will resolve to overcome all covert and open attempts by the extended family to interfere in their life choices.
- The bride must not necessarily leave her home to merge or fit into her in-law’s scheme of things, she now just has another home that she might choose to call her own in addition to the home she comes from.
- Password will not be demanded at any given point of time, trust would mean social media trust too.
- No sharing of “shared” material online without partner’s consent.
- Equal say in which TV shows to watch or not.
- Equal distribution of “me” time and couple time.