The term Bro Code appears to have been popularised by Barney Stinson (Neil Patrick Harris) in the popular TV show How I Met Your Mother.
The entire volume of rules that come under the ‘Bro Codes’ find their roots in the few basic unspoken tenets of male friendship, the two major ones being first that two male buddies must have each other’s back at all times and second, never date a woman who is your buddy’s sister or ex. The (Bro Code) concept was an instant hit and the show went on with it right to the end, coming up with newer ones and adding them to the list.
People took a fancy to this imaginary set of rules written in a non-existent book telling men how to be bros.
It was only a matter of time before someone compiled a book out of it and now it is available in the market too, along with a lot of other Bro Code merchandise!
The Bro Codes permeate into all aspects of life.
· A Bro never admits familiarity with a Broadway show or musical.
· A Bro shall never sport a pair of pink underwear
· Never drink the last beer without permission from other Bros!
· Whether or not a Bro cares about sports, he cares about sport
And of course the reason the Bro Codes came about in the first place! Relationship rules! Below are some of the popular Bro Codes on the said subject.
· Thou shalt not sleep with your Bro’s ex-girlfriend, sister or any woman that he may be related to in any way
· Thou shall not chase a girl that your bro has already declared he likes
· Bros before hoes. (A ho is defined as any women who is not your wife or direct family)
· When a Bro designates you wingman, thou shall not fail him
· When a Bro’s girlfriend inquires about his whereabouts, thou always knows nothing
These codes are understood to stem from the need to protect and uphold ‘Bromance’ (the love between two men friends unless one of the bros is a girl – which is allowed).
As Barney Stinson would have said, Bros are legends and Bro love is, legend-wait-for-it-dary!