Here are some things you might not know about the orgasm.
1. Men have more of them. Nearly a quarter of men claim to orgasm once a day, compared to just 15% of women.
2. Duration varies in both sexes: The duration of orgasm varies for males and females. For females, the average orgasm lasts between six and 10 seconds. If a lady is lucky, it can last for as long as 20 seconds. Among men, it’s much less than that of their female partners. It’s a meager four to five seconds. Not so great an orgasm-fact for men, right?
3. Some women can orgasm from nipple stimulation alone. This isn’t particularly surprising when you consider the fact that brain scanning studies have found that nipple stimulation activates the same region of the brain as stimulation of the clitoris and vagina.
4. The rule of thumb: the distance between a woman’s clitoris and vaginal opening predicts her likelihood of orgasm during vaginal intercourse. When the distance is smaller (generally less than the width of a thumb), she is more likely to reach orgasm because the clitoris gets more stimulation by being closer to the action.
Related reading: Sex toys for stronger relationships: Yay or nay?
5. The coital alignment technique has been shown scientifically to increase the odds of simultaneous orgasm during penile-vaginal intercourse.
7. Frequent orgasms are associated with better health. In fact, some research even suggests that orgasm may provide a boost to the immune system.
8. Orgasms stimulate the same area of the brain as does heroin in an addict’s brain, strongly suggesting that sex can be addictive.
9. The duration of an orgasm tends to decrease as a person ages.
Related reading: The older couple and physical intimacy
10. Women who feel less secure in their relationship are less likely to orgasm.
11. Around 75% of women need clitoral stimulation and are unable to orgasm through intercourse alone.
How many of those facts were new or surprising to you? Join the chatter below.