What makes a love marriage fall apart?

I am always baffled when a couple (that married for love) that I have known and admired for years announces that they are separating and are eventually going through divorce. Where does the love go? Why do love marriages end?

15 replies
Aarti Pathak
June 7, 2017

15 comments

Aarti Pathak June 8, 2017 - 8:56 am

… hmm and it is always heartbreaking to see.. must be far-far worse to go through…*p*

Aarti Pathak June 8, 2017 - 8:56 am

So beautifully expressed. I guess these are one of the factors.. change in our situation/priorities/responsibilties… *p**p*Love your last line Antara – 'some people sail through it..the rest file for divorce!'*p**p*.. and to each his own.*p*

Aarti Pathak June 8, 2017 - 8:56 am

I agree, Loss of respect is a deal breaker. *p**p*A healthy relationship cannot survive on love alone.*p*

Aarti Pathak June 8, 2017 - 8:56 am

'Forgetting the intimate moments of joy' can be lethal for a relationship, thats true. And gawd! I can't even bring myself to think of a third person in anyones relationship. Sure shot disaster for the couple.*p*

Aarti Pathak June 8, 2017 - 8:56 am

" I think we become complacent after a love marriage because we have beaten the odds to unite with each other and that is why we take the relationship for granted." *p**p*So well said! The key then wpuld be to stay connected, keep communicating and to keep surprising your partner :)*p*

Aarti Pathak June 8, 2017 - 8:56 am

Yeah you're right Tina! Reading the comments of this thread have actually helped me understand exactly how a 'love marriage' can fall apart and that it is not that shocking a thing to happen. 🙁 *p*

Aarti Pathak June 8, 2017 - 8:56 am

That is so well put across Dr Sanjeev. I've always disliked seeing my friends who've been together for years break up…*p*

Deepa June 8, 2017 - 8:56 am

Really depends on both individuals….just like when they fell in love, it is upto them to carry on with the same feeling….but yes when priorities change and life throws various kinds of situations at you….you tend to lose that romance and i guess it just makes the marriage fall apart….*p*

Antara Rakesh June 8, 2017 - 8:56 am

Having had a first hand experience of a love marriage. I guess..mostly when we fall in love we are in a different phase and set up of life. college or high school. our priorities are different. we devote a lot of time to our looks, leisure, light mannered activities. we fall for someone and that someone gives us so much love and importance because their age and lifestyle allow them to do so.*p**p*once we get married however, prioritie change. responsibilites shoot up and the relaties of life hit us hard. we cant anymore do what we used to do. challenges in life make us show our hidden sides to one another. and these traits are not necessarily very adorable!! egos vome up and so do differences and the sweet romantic US get lost somewhere.. some people sail through it..the rest file for divorce!*p*

Ashutosh June 8, 2017 - 8:56 am

You never know the future that is the case. At one point the love may seem unshakeable but at another point it may feel fragile. This is how life is. I think complacency plays a big part in separation. I think we become complacent after a love marriage because we have beaten the odds to unite with each other and that is why we take the relationship for granted. We feel that we have secured our soulmate and therefore do not care about keeping the relationship alive. We do not try invigorating the passion and surprise from time to time. That is where it falls apart. We fail to communicate because we feel we already know everything and there is nothing new. That is why the element of surprise in the relationship should always be there. The love does not go. It only finds a new shelter.*p*

1 2