Sex? No please, we’re married
You must have heard the popular saying that couples stop having sex after getting married. While the truth in the statement is debatable, one cannot ignore the fact that after the ‘honeymoon period’ in a marriage wears off, the sex tends to decrease.
As the knot is tied and commitment is established to one person forever, the urgency to show love to one’s partner often decreases and reduces the sex as complacency sets in. However, the reasons for sexless marriages, or Dead Bedrooms as they are often referred to, are varying.
In this Reddit thread married men and women who do not engage in sex any more confessed what caused them to be in the situation. The reasons they gave ranged from boredom to loss of attractiveness or health problems. We’ve compiled 11 very striking answers:
1. She gained over 100 lbs, and I am just not attracted any more
2. We’re both on anti-depressants which have totally messed with our sex drives
3. We got married and had kids
4. My wife decided three years ago sex is too ‘icky’
5. Honestly we’re both just not attractive anymore. Better to masturbate
Related reading: How frequently should a couple have sex?
6. It has gotten to the point where I could tell she was only doing it for me, and I began to feel as though I was essentially raping her
7. She started blatantly using it to get something she wanted or to cover up something she did
8. My husband is not very good at sex and shows no interest in improving
Related reading: My husband is not interested in sex
9. I’ve had Erectile Dysfunction for about 3 years now
10. I’m not in love anymore and I want out
11. She was prescribed several medications that resulted in multiple health issues and is completely asexual