We all know that communication is key when it comes to relationships. But what do you do when you run out of things to talk about? I’ll tell you. You refer to this list of 100 conversation starters for couples!
It is no surprise that the number one reason for divorce is poor communication. To avoid this lack of communication with your partner, you need to work towards improving your relationship conversation. Some couples’ conversation starters can help you work on that.
We all are aware of that awkward silence that makes us want to vanish into thin air. Awkward silences with your partner can be weird and embarrassing, and you would want to avoid them at all costs. And that’s why, to save you from all the embarrassment, I bring you this list of couples’ conversation starters so that you never run out of things to talk about.
Good Conversation Starters For Couples
People usually bond over different things in different ways. Hence, there are no fixed conversation topics for couples. Some bond over music, while others require a deep and meaningful conversation to feel a connection. Therefore, a relationship conversation can be a mix of innumerable topics.
Topics of conversation for couples can range from general food and music questions to deep heartfelt discussions. Here is a list of some good conversation starters for couples that will give you some new and interesting things to talk about:
1.If we go back to being teenagers, do you think we would have found a way to meet each other again?
2. How good are you at reading people?
3. What are your non-negotiables in a relationship?
4. What drives you away from a person?
5. How would you describe your relationship with food?
6. What’s the most important thing in a relationship for you?
7. What is that one thing you wish you had never said?
8. How many relationships did you have before me?
9. What’s the one thing that irritates you the most?
10. If someone was to write your biography, what would it be named?
11. Do you believe in God?
12. What does love mean to you?
13. What do you think your life would be like without your friends?
14. Can you list the things that you believe we both have in common?
15. What are the three adjectives you associate with yourself the most?
16. What are the top five things on your bucket list?
17. What was the worst trend you followed?
18. What do you miss the most about being a kid?
19. What are your views on marriage?
20. What are you thinking about right now?
21. How did you spend your first salary?
22. What is your favorite children’s story?
23. If you had a time machine, which famous historical figure would you have wanted to meet?
24. What is that one song that reminds you of me?
25. If you were to get a tattoo, where and what would it be?
Deep Conversation Starters For Couples
Coming up with thoughtful convo starters can be difficult for most of us. Especially when we want to take our relationship conversation to a ‘deeper’ level. Whether you are a new couple or have spent several years together, there are tons of questions that can still be asked.
Conversation topics for couples for a deep relationship conversation can relate to their past, present, or even future plans. The trick is to ask the correct questions at the correct time. Here is a list of some deep conversation starters for couples that can bring up thousands of emotions in your relationship conversation.
Related Reading: Expert Talks About 9 Must-Try Communication Exercises
26. What was your first impression of me?
27. What is your definition of a perfect date?
28. What are you most grateful for in life?
29. What’s your fondest childhood memory?
30. What’s your definition of success?
31. What would you describe as your biggest strength in life?
32. How much do you care about what I do for a living?
33. What makes us compatible according to you?
34. What’s the meaning of family for you?
35. Tell me about your first crush.
36. What is your most cherished memory from our relationship?
37. What’s that one secret you’ve never told anyone in your life?
38. What is your biggest motivation?
39. What comforts you when you feel sad or unhappy?
40. Can you name the top 5 people whose actions affect you the most?
41. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your physical attractiveness?
42. Do you think that a person’s life goals should be constant?
43. What would you never do even if you are offered all the money in the world?
44. What is your biggest regret in life?
45. Who do you envy the most?
46. Apart from the people in your life, is there anything that you cannot live without?
47. If you suddenly became famous, what are the things you would do differently?
48. What’s that one lesson you would want to pass on to the next generation so that they don’t have to learn it the hard way?
49. What do you think about open relationships?
50. Who has been the biggest emotional support in your life?
Related Reading: 11 Ways To Improve Communication In A Relationship
Fun Conversation Starters For Couples
A relationship conversation does not necessarily have to be a serious affair. Conversation starters for couples can also be enjoyable and fun. You can find some fun things to talk about while having your dinner together or in your car on the way to the mall.
Fun topics of conversation for couples can include some light-hearted convo starters about your dreams and fantasies. They can also be related to how you both met and what you both want to do in the future together.
Want a list of fun and interesting conversation topics for couples? Here they are! These fun convo starters can help you strengthen your bond with your partner without you stressing too much about it.
51. Which actor should play me in a movie about my life?
52. If a genie agrees to grant one of your wishes, what would you want it to be?
53. Do you remember the first time we met?
54. What’s the weirdest dream you ever had?
55. What would the title of your sex tape be?
56. Do you ever feel that you were born in the wrong era?
57. What would you do if your favorite actor/actress ask you out on a date?
58. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
59. What’s your strategy to survive an alien attack?
60. If you ever write/direct a movie, what would it be about and what would it be called?
61. If you could watch only one movie for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
62. What does your dream job look like?
63. What is your dream vacation destination?
64. What is your biggest pet peeve?
65. What would you do if you suddenly win 10 million dollars?
66. What would you do if you get the power to rule the world for one day?
67. If animals could talk, which animal would you want to talk to the most?
68. Is the hot-dog a sandwich? Why or why not?
69. Which fictional character would have been your best friend had they existed?
70. What secret conspiracy would you like to start?
71. What is the worst thing that you spent your money on?
72. What is the most ridiculous fact you know?
73. Have you ever stalked someone on social media?
74. If you could change your gender for a day, what would you do?
75. Except for a human being, what would you want to reincarnate as?
Related Reading: 50 Flirty Conversation Starters With A Girl
Conversation Starters For Married Couples
Remember the time when you used to be awake all night to talk to your partner? Your long late-night calls or deep conversations and discussions under a starry sky? Does all of this feel alien to you now? Do you think that at this point of your marriage, your relationship conversations have reduced to questions like, “What’s for Dinner?” or “Where are the kids?”
Well, here’s the good news. Not being able to find some new things to talk about is absolutely normal. However, not trying to find some new topics of conversation for couples is not. Trying to improve your relationship by having heart-to heart conversation with your partner shows how much you care about communication in your relationship.
These conversation starters for couples can help you find some new things to talk about.
Related Reading: What To Text a Girl To Start A Conversation
76. What would you like to see in our family picture 20 years down the line?
77. What kind of parents do you think we are/would be?
78. What was it that made you fall in love with me in the first place?
79. How do you think we’ve changed since we got married?
80. What kind of impact have I had in your life?
81. What, according to you, is the best part of our marriage?
82. What adventurous thing do you think we should do together?
83. How would you rate our sexual compatibility?
84. What are some of the things you think were better when you were alone?
85. What would your advice to your teenage self be?
86. What’s your most favorite romantic gesture that I’ve ever done for you?
87. If you ever write a book about me, what would you name it?
88. What about our future together scares you the most in life?
89. Describe how you think our first time in bed was like?
90. If you can choose my outfit for the next 7 days, what would you choose?
91. What’s that one character trait that you don’t want our kids to learn from me?
92. Is there anything that you wish was different about how you were raised?
93. What do you think my most annoying trait is?
94. What was your favorite vacation with me?
95. What’s your reaction when someone tries to flirt with you now?
96. Where do your ideas of romance come from?
97. What are the things that make you insecure?
98. What are the things on your bucket list that you think I would never want to do?
99. Do you think that we have somehow dimmed/lost the spark in our relationship?
100. What does our dream home look like to you?
Related Reading: Quality Time Love Language: Meaning, Ideas And Examples
I hope that these ‘100 conversation starters for couples’ have given you food for thought and a lot to talk about. Based on your purpose of a relationship conversation, you can churn out questions that belong to deep conversation starters for couples, fun conversation starters for couples, or conversation starters for married couples’ category.
Don’t forget to check out Bonobology.com for more such fun and interesting relationship discussions.
Romance is not just reserved for your first date! There are several people with whom you might be interested in starting a romantic conversation. They may be someone whom you have just met. Or a friend whom you consider to be more than just a friend. It may be your spouse or someone you are dating. A romantic conversation starter can involve a sweet or a flirty pickup line followed by a question about them. You can compliment their personality, their talents and ask them if they are comfortable with you asking them out on a date.
There are a million topics that two people in love can discuss. However, to take the relationship beyond the ‘small-talk’ phase, you can talk about some deeper and important topics. Couples can talk about their hopes and dreams. They can discuss the importance of money in achieving their goals. A couple can discuss their sexual life and air their opinions on family and marriage. They can also share their fears and frustrations with each other. Talking about their learning experiences and shared memories can also build a strong foundation for effective communication.
While trying to initiate a juicy conversation, you have to be sure about your partner’s comfort levels. To ignite that ‘spark’ in your relationship, you can start a juicy conversation by asking any of the following questions.
1. What is the wildest thing you’ve ever done and would love to do again?
2. What’s the hottest memory you have of us?
3. What turns you on?
4. What is your weirdest sexual fantasy?
To express your love, you can start your conversation by communicating your feelings. Here are some examples of conversation starters.
1. Telling them how important they are to you.
2. By communicating your feelings openly.
3. By asking them questions about their feelings for you.
4. Confessing something cute to your partner.
5. Asking open-ended questions about their interests and listening to them intently.
6. Talking about the wonderful times you both have had together.
7. Fantasizing about your future.