Sitting on the roof at 3 a.m. and talking with a friend/partner is a cathartic experience. It transports you to a world full of hope and possibilities. When was the last time you pulled out a list of deep conversation topics and revealed your soul to someone?
Conversations are a direct gateway to the mind and soul of another human being. There are a million things to talk about when you are with the right person. Conversation flows organically, pouring like a waterfall after the monsoon. In any relationship, platonic or romantic, talking builds a strong foundation, giving you an insight into the person’s mind and vice versa. However, there is a point in every relationship when you hit a dead end. The mind goes silent. Suddenly, you go from talking all night to searching for topics to talk about with your partner.
In a romantic relationship, there are many conversation topics for couples that allow you to pierce through the bubble and get to know your partner on a deeper level. You need the right conversation questions to jumpstart a deep conversation. If your relationship is beginning to transform into a silent film, we have a list of conversation topics for couples that will reignite the fire and curiosity in your relationship.
Deep Conversation Topics To Bring You Closer Together
Starting a deep conversation is akin to a game of chess. You have to make careful and calculated movements to ensure that you are heading in the right direction. One wrong move can steer the direction of the conversation off course and make you lose the entire game.
The right deep conversation starters can help you navigate conversations skillfully and get to know your partner on a deeper level. Our exhaustive list of deep conversation topics and conversation questions covers all types of situations as well as the phases of a relationship. You can count on us to have the best conversation of your life.
Deep Conversation Starters
Getting to know someone is not easy. You have to break open the shell and allow them to let you enter their inner sanctum. When you are beginning a new relationship, it is imperative to build a level of trust. A deep conversation with the right questions can pave the way for your partner to be vulnerable. Here is a list of relationship conversation starters that will help you go beyond the surface level:
1. What is the best trip you’ve ever taken?
2. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
3. Do you consider yourself funny?
4. What’s something that always cheers you up?
5. What movie or TV character do you think you’re most like?
6. Who was your childhood celebrity crush?
7. What do you value most in a friend?
8. How old were you when you had your first crush? And kiss?
9. Are you close to your family?
10. Do you want to be more like your parents or less like them?
11. Have you ever been in love before?
12. I’m curious about your previous relationships…
13. Who would you say helped make you the person you are today?
14. What experiences have made you who you are today?
15. When did you last cry in front of another person? By yourself?
Related Reading: The 5 Types Of Love Languages And How To Use Them For Happy Relationships
These questions are great deep conversation topics with a girl or guy you are seeing. Measure the level of comfort and do not overstep your boundaries. You cannot force a deep conversation. It has to come up organically. You shouldn’t jump to deep conversation questions on the first date either. Make sure you have both reached a certain level of trust before you dive into deep conversation topics.
Deep Conversation Starters With Boyfriend
If having a conversation is difficult, having a deep conversation with your boyfriend could almost be impossible. When it comes to communication, men do not shine. Blame it on society or their pseudo sense of machismo, deep conversation with men can be tricky.
But when you have a list of correct conversation starters with a boyfriend at your disposal, even the most silent of men can turn into a chatty Chad. With men, you can’t just jump into, “What is your passion in life?” You first need to scratch the surface with light-hearted questions that interest them. Slowly and steadily, as the conversation progresses, you can steer it toward deeper conversation topics. The next time you and your boyfriend are enjoying a romantic day, try and bring up some of these 20 questions that are great conversation starters with a boyfriend and will eventually lead him to open up his heart to you:
16. If you could wish for anything under the sky right now, what would you wish for?
17. What is the scariest movie you’ve ever seen?
18. What’s the name of your favorite song?
19. Which dress do you think I look the sexiest in?
20. What is your favorite childhood memory?
21. What was your first thought when you saw me?
22. What is one thing you are most proud of accomplishing?
23. Who are you closest to in your family?
24. Who is the Joey to your Chandler?
25. Do you remember your worst nightmare? If yes, what was it?
26. What great idea would you like to try if you had enough money?
27. What would you do first if you gained the ability to fly?
28. What’s the quickest way to make you angry?
29. When are you the most yourself?
30. If your life was a book, what would this chapter be called?
Men are like onions. (no, we don’t mean they make you cry). There are multiple layers that you need to peel carefully to reach deep inside. Men enjoy a good conversation as much as women. They might not always be forthright and so require a gentle nudge. These conversation starters will help with peeling the layers of your partner’s personality and understand them better.
Jenna and Alex had been dating for almost a year. However, Jenna began to feel that she hadn’t connected to him on a deeper level. This is what she had to share, “It was very difficult to get him to open up. He would evade every question I ever asked. Finally, one day, I sat down with him after his favorite football team had lost the match. I asked him why he loved that particular team. That one question, that one right conversation starter, kept us talking till 5 a.m… It was the first time he had opened up to me like that.”
Related Reading: Dating An Introvert – 11 Communication Hacks To Use
Romantic Deep Conversation Topics For Couples
Most people do not need relationship conversation starters when they’ve have just started dating because there is an excitement and curiosity to share everything. However, for introverts, starting a conversation even with a partner can be a challenge.
Once my college roommate dated a guy who was a great listener. But when it was his turn to talk, he would give one-word answers. Turns out, he was an introvert. His past relationships had also failed because he never knew how to initiate a conversation.
Like him, there are many others out there who can make great partners but are unable to express themselves. Are you also an introvert? Have you always wanted a list of romantic and deep conversation topics with a girl? Don’t worry, we’ve got more for you! Here is a list of romantic conversation topics for couples to take their relationship to the next level:
31. Where do you see our relationship going?
32. What does marriage mean to you?
33. How do you feel about big proposals?
34. How do you think our relationship will change if we get married?
35. What does it mean to be a good partner?
36. What kinds of things will we be doing 10 years from now? Twenty years from now?
37. What would we do together in our retirement?
38. What’s the most romantic movie you’ve ever seen?
39. What’s a song that reminds you of us?
40. Do you believe in love at first sight?
41. Do you believe in soulmates? (What about twin flames?)
42. When we’re apart, what do you miss most about me?
43. What’s your most precious memory of me?
44. What is the one thing you dislike about me?
45. What is the most romantic place you want to visit with me?
Related Reading: 51 Deep Relationship Questions To Ask For A Better Love Life
Deep Conversation Topics With Girlfriend
Conversations are always tricky, especially when it’s a new relationship and you don’t know how to navigate. In such cases, you can either ask your girlfriend if she wants to play a game where both of you ask each other questions. Alternatively, you can ask these in the midst of your conversations with her. You can always start with a ”suppose you had a…” for questions involving imaginary situations. These questions will help you know more intimately and help strengthen the bond between you two.
46. Have you ever felt very strongly about something and then eventually changed your mind about it?
47. What do you think is your best quality?
48. What do you think is my best quality?
49. What quality do you want to nurture more of in yourself?
50. What does happiness mean to you?
51. If you could drop everything and go on a road trip, where would you go?
52. How do you feel about pets and animals?
53. What’s something you tried hard to like but just couldn’t?
54. What’s the funniest / strangest thing that someone has drunkenly confessed to you?
55. If you could change your first name, what would be the most epic name you’d choose?
56. What’s your love language?
57. What drew you to me?
58. When did you know you were in love with me?
59. Is there anything about our relationship that feels especially unique to us?
60. What do you love most about our daily life together?
Deep Conversation Topics For A Sexy Conversation
Conversations don’t always need to be deep and emotional. Talking about something fun and exciting is also a good way to get to know a person. There is more than one way to build sexual chemistry. Believe it or not, talking is one of them.
Communicating your sexual desires, your fantasies, and your boundaries can help you and your partner understand each other and implement your newfound knowledge the next time things get hot and steamy. A good, sexy conversation also makes for great foreplay in a relationship. We have a list of questions for a sexy conversation that enhances the experience between the sheets:
61. What’s your favorite part of my body?
62. What part of my body do you want to explore more?
63. What part of your body do you want me to explore more?
64. What’s the hottest memory you have of us?
65. If you could relive one of our sexual experiences, which one would you choose?
66. Which is better: morning sex or sex at night?
67. What does it mean to be good in bed?
68. Fast and hard, or slow and gentle?
69. Hottest sex position?
70. Sex position that’s most likely to make you orgasm?
71. Which is the wildest place you’ve ever had sex in?
72. What would be a really hot place for us to have sex?
73. How would you feel about people watching us have sex?
74. What’s your go-to masturbation routine?
75. What kind of porn turns you on?
76. What’s your dirtiest sexual fantasy?
77. What is a role play fantasy you want to fulfill?
78. What’s a very ordinary thing that just really turns you on?
79. How do you feel about being tied up or…tying me up?
80. Sex on the beach or sex in the mountains?
Communicating is a great way to build intimacy in your relationship. Without talking, you would never know your partner’s likes and dislikes. Neither would they know yours. Sex is an important conversation topic for couples that they must explore. If you thought just pillow talk was enough, think again! Ask each other these questions and thank us later.
Related Reading: 50 Things To Talk About With Your Boyfriend And Know Him Better
Deep Questions To Rekindle The Romance
Running out of things to talk about in a relationship? Can’t think of a single topic to talk about with your girlfriend or boyfriend? Don’t worry, we got you. It is normal to exhaust topics to talk about when you have been together for what feels like an eternity. This especially happens with married couples.
When you share every part of your life, there are few things to talk about that are exciting and unexplored. However, a lack of communication can take a toll on your romance. However, you will be surprised to know that many deep conversation topics can rekindle your romance even if you think that you know your partner like the back of your hand. Here are some deep conversation topics/prompts which will help reignite the flame of love in your relationship:
81. Do you remember the day we met/got married?
82. What is your first memory of me?
83. Close your eyes and tell me what comes to your mind when you think of me?
84. What are the things you dislike about me and how can I change them?
85. If you could relive one day from your life, what would that be?
86. When was the last time I made you laugh?
87. What is your favorite vacation that we have taken together?
88. How has your love language changed since we first met?
89. Do you like to do household chores?
90. Who is your support system right now?
91. Do you see us growing old together?
92. What kind of a retirement life do you want for us?
93. When did you feel respected/ disrespected by me?
94. Did I ever hurt you? If yes, how can I avoid doing it again?
95. What makes you feel appreciated in our relationship?
96. Do you feel we communicate openly in our relationship? If not, how can we improve it?
97. Do you think you have the freedom to be yourself in our relationship?
98. What made you feel I am “The One”?
99. What is the best compliment you received from me?
100. Which love story would best describe our relationship?
How can deep conversation topics help Improve Communication?
Even if you are a pro at talking with strangers, having deep conversation topics at your disposal can help you on those occasions when you don’t have anything to say. If you think you can come up with an interesting topic instantly, it’s easier said than done. Therefore, having a mental list of such topics prepared beforehand can help prevent any such incidents. Besides, these topics can help steer your conversation into new and more interesting directions that can further bring you closer to the other person and help you know them better.
As your relationship gets older, your conversations also tend to get repetitive and monotonous. Introducing these deep conversation topics can help make your regular talks much more spontaneous and entertaining. These can also help introduce an element of playfulness into your dynamic, as you can easily turn them into a fun game. For instance, you could take turns answering the same question one by one. Make a quiz out of it. Or introduce cards, drinking shots, or other elements to have fun as you work toward strengthening intimacy in your relationship.
When my cousin’s marriage was on the verge of divorce, she and her husband sought therapy. One of the exercises was to talk about the deep conversation topics that were assigned to them. It was that one exercise that saved their marriage. While communicating, they both realized their love for each other, cleared up miscommunications, and recognized their respective faults. If you feel disconnected from your partner, use this list of conversation starters for couples to remind each other of the love you feel.
These deep conversation topics and relationship conversation starters will give you the push you need to finally get to know your partner on a deeper level. Conversations are a magical tool that can salvage the ruins, build relationships and even forge bonds that last a lifetime. So go ahead, use these topics as deep conversation topics with a girl or as deep conversation topics in a relationship. Either way, you might end up surprised about how much you can learn about a person when you ask the right questions.
To indulge in deep conversations, start with small talk. Ask simple questions which can make the person feel comfortable around you. Ensure that you don’t ask questions that offend the other person and always be mindful of their boundaries.
A good conversation includes a balance between talking and listening. Ensure that you give the person space to talk and are attentively listening. Ask good questions and try to be genuine in your replies and reactions.
At night, the mind and body are relaxed. You become more receptive and vulnerable. Your emotions run wild, allowing you to have deeper conversations during the night.
25 Questions To Ask Before Marriage To Be Set For The Future