Respect and love go hand in hand. Knowing your partner values your voice and opinions despite having different ones themselves is a type of intimacy that encourages you to be who you are. Respect in a relationship nurtures feelings of trust and safety.
Love can sometimes change by the day. You’ve fought and maybe you don’t love them as much at that moment, but respect is something that should always be there no matter how you feel about that person.
Read a curated list of 24 quotes about respect by greats such as Confucius and Mahatma Gandhi to show its importance.
1. One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say. -Bryant H. McGill
2. “Respect is one of the greatest expressions of love.” — Don Miguel Ruiz
3. “I must respect the opinions of others even if I disagree with them.” – Herbert H. Lehman
4. “Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be.” ― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
5. Respect depends on reciprocity. – Nyang Proverb
6. Self-respect is the cornerstone of all virtue. – John Herschell
7. “Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.” — Bruce Lee
8. I’d rather be respected than loved – Eli Broad
9. Respect is one of the most important things you can teach a child. -Catherine Pulsifer
10. Respect is at the core of every human interaction.
11. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” – Dr. Seuss
12. The right to be respected is won by respecting others. – Vasyl Sukhomlynsky
13. Self-respect knows no considerations. – Mahatma Gandhi
14 “Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners.” — Laurence Sterne
15. “I cannot conceive of a greater loss than the loss of one’s self-respect.” — Mahatma Gandhi
16. “We don’t need to share the same opinions as others, but we need to be respectful.” — Taylor Swift
17. “Respect is one of life’s greatest treasures. I mean, what does it all add up to if you don’t have that?” — Marilyn Monroe
18. When you practice gratitude, there is a sense of respect toward others. – Dalai Lama
19. Respect yourself and others will respect you. – Confucius
20. We must express ourselves in ways that demonstrate our respect for others. – Stephen Carter
21. Respect is a two-way street, if you want to get it, you’ve got to give it. – R.G. Risch
22. Being brilliant is no great feat if you respect nothing. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
23. Without feelings of respect, what is there to distinguish men from beasts? – Confucius
24. Awe and respect are two different things. – Oliver Reed