When your heart breaks, the pain and sadness can feel all-consuming, but somehow you can never find the right words to say when someone asks, “What’s wrong?”. Let these quotes put into words feelings that your lips cannot.
To move past something, you must first understand it. These heart-touching, sad quotes will help you understand what exactly it is that you are feeling and why. Allow yourself to take the first step to feeling better.
These sad quotes that make you cry are proof that you are not alone in what you are feeling. This compilation of quotes just goes to show that all of us, irrespective of geography, race, ethnicity and gender, express love and loss the same way. Take comfort in the fact that there is likely someone thousands of miles away from you reading and resonating with the same words you are. So, grab that box of tissues, let your emotions run free so the healing can finally begin.
1. “Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.” – Derinda Love
2. “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces.” Ella Harper
3. “Some people are going to leave, but that’s not the end of your story. That’s the end of their part in your story.” ― Faraaz Kazi
4. “You can close your eyes to things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to things you don’t want to feel.” – Johnny Depp
5. A million words would not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither would a million tears, I know because I cried.
6. It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew. – Henry Rollins
7. Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water. – Christopher Morley
8. When you’re around someone so much, for so long, they become a part of you. And when they go away, you don’t know who you are without them.
9. It is hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.
10. When you are in love and you get hurt, it’s like a cut… it will heal, but there will always be a scar.
11. I wonder if I could take back every ‘I love you’ ever said to you, would I do it? – Faraaz Kazi
12. For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, ‘It might have been’. – John Greenleaf Whittier
13. Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. – Anaïs Nin
14. The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever. – Carroll Bryant
15. Pleasure of love lasts but a moment. Pain of love lasts a lifetime. – Bette Davis
16. I think you have to pay for love with bitter tears. – Edith Piaf
17. Nothing in this world was more difficult than love. – Gabriel García Márquez
18. Happiness is the china shop; love is the bull. – H. L. Mencken
19. Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation. – Kahlil Gibran
20. The saddest thing in the world is loving someone who used to love you.
21. A broken heart is the worst. It’s like having broken ribs. Nobody can see it, but it hurts every time you breathe.
22. It hurts when you have someone in your heart but can’t have in your arms.
23. Some say it’s painful to wait for someone. Some say it’s painful to forget someone. But the worst pain comes when you don’t know whether to wait or forget.
24. I tried to forget you, but the harder I tried, the more I thought about you.
25. Our greatest joy and our greatest pain come in our relationships with others. – Stephen R. Covey