Everyone is always wondering if pick-up lines truly work in real life. Well, trust me they do. Pick-up lines do the most important task in the conversation, they break the ICE. Your aim might be to flirt or flatter or amaze but to do all of these you first need to get in the door. You need to get them interested and the only way that will happen is if you INTRIGUE them. A well-timed pick-up line, as long as it is not one of the cringiest pick-up lines ever, will be able to do the job.
Pick-up lines are the way to go when you’re trying to start a conversation with a total stranger. Even a bad pick-up line will get the conversation going but it may lead to the conversation in a direction that is very different from the one you were going for. There’s a lot of pressure surrounding choosing the correct pick-up line. You want to be careful that you don’t offend anyone and yet be funny enough to captivate their attention.
70 Cringiest Pick-Up Lines Of All Times That Will Make You Go WTF
Even if you know all about pick-up lines, it can be difficult to come up with your own especially at the last minute. Or worse, you may end up using the cringiest pick-up lines and ruin your chances of making headway.
It’s always better to approach someone when you already know what you’re going to say rather than just winging it. To help you with that, we bring you a lowdown on 71 of the cringiest pick-up lines that you may want to avoid or use as a sort of a last resort only:
1. If you were a vegetable, you’d be a CUTEcumber!
Vegetable puns are seriously outdated and cringe-inducing.
2. Is it hot in here or is it just you?
We’ve all heard this one. After all, it’s used in every cheesy romantic movie. It may not be one of the world’s worst pick-up lines but it is completely unimaginative.
3. If you were a triangle, you’d be an acute one!
Such an old line. It’s one of the cringiest Tinder pick-up lines that people continue to use, and I don’t know why.
4. Hey girl, are you a beaver? ‘Cause damn!
It’s not bad but you can do better.
5. Are you an orphanage? Because I want to give you kids
Seriously creepy. Undoubtedly, one of the world’s cringiest pick-up lines.
6. Is that a mirror in your pocket? Cause I can see myself in your pants
Serious cringe. Clearly, you only have one thing on your mind.
7. Hey, you’re pretty and I’m cute. Together we’d be Pretty Cute
This is one of the cringiest pick-up lines to use on guys, not to mention very old and done to death. Try and avoid it.
Related Reading: Online Love And Relationship Counseling
8. Would you grab my arm, so I can tell my friends I’ve been touched by an angel?
Wow, that is cheesy, it could work but still is cringy.
9. If you were a transformer, you’d be Optimus fine
Nerdy! It isn’t too bad but for it to work they would have to be a Transformers fan.
10. It’s handy that I have my library card because I’m totally checking you out.
Eh, I guess this one isn’t that bad but you can still do better.
11. Did you just fart? Because you blew me away!
Okay here’s a thought: you don’t want your first conversation with someone to be a treatise on farting. Right? Avoid this cringy pick-up line like the plague.
12. Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk past you again?
This can make you seem confident but you can also come across as arrogant and that can be a serious turn-off sometimes. This could be one of the worst pick-up lines from a girl or a guy if it isn’t delivered with the perfect attitude.
Related Reading: 101 Best Pick-Up Lines For Guys
13. I’m learning about important dates in history. Wanna be one of them?
Cringy as hell but at least your intention is a little bit better. Still, I say avoid it.
14. I seem to have lost my phone number. Can I have yours?
Well, it’s smooth, but logically, it makes no sense. What will you do with someone else’s number if you’ve lost yours? It won’t work as yours. It’s not a pen.
15. Are you a parking ticket? Cause you’ve got fine written all over you!
Huh, this is seriously stretching the boundaries of understanding. Not everyone thinks of a parking ticket as a fine. Don’t risk them not getting it, stick to something simpler.
16. Did you invent the airplane? Because you seem just Wright for me!
This is factually accurate, so kudos for that. But if they don’t know who the Wright brothers were, then this one won’t work. It’s risky.
Related Reading: Addictive Flirty Texting: 25 Texts That Will Make Him Want You More
17. I was wondering if you had an extra heart…because mine was just stolen
Very cheesy! Don’t use this, it’s way too romantic for a first approach.
18. Are you Siri? Because you autocomplete me!
Another inaccurate pick-up line. Auto correcting isn’t Siri’s job, that’s why the whole autocomplete thing makes no sense.
19. I hope you know CPR because you are taking my breath away!
CPR is administered when someone is having a heart attack so this is way off base. It would make more sense to say that they made your heart skip a beat than saying that they took your breath away. Just saying.
20. Have you ever been arrested? It must be illegal to look that good
A pretty good compliment. This might seem like one of the worst pick-up lines but it isn’t as bad as the others we’ve seen. Though this could be offensive so tread lightly.
21. I’ve ‘Lost That Loving Feeling’, will you help me find it again?
If you’re into vintage music, this reference to the Righteous Brothers’ song will totally reflect your interest. It might feel like the cringiest pick-up line in the world but it doubles up as a Top Gun reference. But if you’re not into these things, then you’re going to find yourself in a real problem.
22. If women were boogers, I’d pick you first
Ugghh! This one is pretty disgusting. It might just be one of the worst pick-up lines ever. Avoid at all costs.
23. Baby, if we came to some agreement, you’d be the fine print
This can be a compliment but you kind of also just called them something that isn’t in the main focus. It’s a double-edged sword, be careful.
24. You’re so sweet, you’re giving me a toothache
Very cheesy! This is a pretty common Tinder pick-up line. Don’t use it, it’s completely generic.
25. Know what’s on the menu? Me ‘n’ U
Kind of a strained wordplay but I guess if used an actual menu as a prop you could salvage this one.
26. Well, here I am. What are your other two wishes?
Hmm… Well, you’re pretty sure of yourself, aren’t you?
27. Did your license get suspended for driving all these guys crazy?
Umm, kind of pushing the limits of logic with this one. You can’t just use two words that are kind of connected however you want. Even a pick-up line needs to make sense.
28. Is there an airport nearby or was that just my heart taking off?
Okay, now that’s kind of cute text to send to someone but it’s seriously cheesy. It shows you’re serious so be careful.
29. There must be something wrong with my phone because it doesn’t have your number on it
It might be one of the cringiest pick-up lines to use on guys but it’s pretty smooth (in its own way).
30. Your eyes are bluer than the Atlantic Ocean and I don’t mind being lost at sea.
Nope, way too cringe! Not to mention, seriously overused. And it has to be used contextually. What if they don’t have blue eyes? Oceans aren’t brown, you know.
Related Reading: 35 Cute Questions To Ask Your Crush While Texting
31. If you were a burger at McDonald’s, you’d be the McGorgeous
This one’s sort of okay. I give it a 3 out of 10. It is a safe one and won’t backfire unless the person you’re hitting on is a fitness freak who abhors fast food.
32. Are you a camera? Because every time I look at you, I smile
Very cheesy! Frankly, it isn’t that bad, we’ve heard worse. I guess this can be your last resort pick-up line.
33. Are you a loan? ‘Cause, you’ve got my interest!
Nope. Think harder. No one likes loans, choose a better one.
34. I’m in the mood for pizza. A pizza you, that is!
Now that is just bad on SO many levels. Come on, you’re better than this.
35. Are you a 45-degree angle? Because you’re a-cutie
So last season. Go with something new and unique if you truly want to improve your chances of taking things forward with this person.
36. You’re so sweet, you could put Hershey’s out of business!
This is one of the cringiest pick-up lines because it is so unremarkable. The only place where this might work is in the movies. Do better.
37. Were you in Boy Scouts? Because you sure have tied my heart in a knot.
This may be one of the worst pick-up lines from a girl ever, but hey, at least with this you’ll always be prepared when you meet new people.
38. My doctor told me I’m missing Vitamin U. Can you help me?
Don’t, just Don’t. This is too cringe to work, they’ll say no and you’ll be embarrassed. What will you tell your doctor then?
39. Is this the bus stop? ‘Cause I am here to pick you up.
This is way too obvious, making it one of the world’s cringiest pick-up lines. Try being a bit more subtle.
40. If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put U and I together.
That is some serious alphabetical flirting. As compared to the other alphabet pick-up lines we’ve seen, this one is not that bad. But you can still do better.
Related Reading: 55 Best Ice Breaker Questions For Dating
41. I was blinded by your beauty; I’m going to need your name and phone number for insurance purposes.
This one would only work if you use it as a cover-up for an accident. Like maybe you tripped or spilled your drink. You could spill your drink on purpose, just don’t spill it on them.
42. Are you a campfire? Cause you’re hot and I want S’more
Flirty and outdoorsy but still very cringe. As far as word plays go, this one’s a bit obvious.
43. Go on, feel my jacket. It’s made of boyfriend material
This is a pretty common cringe pick-up line, put some more thought into it. This one’s gotten old now.
44. Is your heart a prison? Cause I would like to be sentenced for life
Okay, major cringe and not to mention lame. Too commital for an opening line to a conversation. This is among the cringiest pick-up lines to use on guys and girls alike.
45. Your parents must be drug dealers because I’m totally addicted to you
Tread lightly with this one, it might offend people. For this reason alone, this is one of the worst pick-up lines from a girl or a guy.
46. Excuse me, I think you have something in your eye. Nope, It’s just a sparkle
Umm… sometimes the cheesy stuff can work. I think it would depend on how you say it.
47. If you were a president, you’d be Babe-Raham Lincoln
Okay, this is a seriously strained pun. It feels very forced, like a puzzle piece that just doesn’t fit.
48. Excuse me, do you know how much a polar bear weighs? No? Me neither but it breaks the ice
Oh, serious fourth wall break! This is a pretty good backup line but keep looking because you can do better.
49. Hey, my name’s Microsoft. Can I crash at your place tonight?
Nerdy and cringy. Besides Microsoft is the best company in the industry. Maybe you can replace it with Windows Vista, but if the person you’re hitting on isn’t aware of its legendary crash abilities, this could be a complete flop.
50. Excuse me, my friend over there is a little embarrassed. He’d like your phone number. He wants to know where he can get a hold of me in the morning
This one kind of blew my mind. It isn’t very common and it might seem a bit cringy but I think it’s bold. It shows confidence and it’s funny. Remember it won’t really work if you’re in a bar alone. So, you can’t use it all the time.
Related Reading: 31 Funny Ways To Start A Text Conversation And Get Responses!
51. Are you my appendix? I don’t know what you do or how you work but I feel like I should take you out
Points for being creative and factual. But maybe you don’t want your first conversation to be on stories about appendicitis operations. Think it through before using this because this could easily turn into one of the worst pick-up lines ever.
52. Are you Bluetooth enabled? ‘Cause I feel like we’re pairing
Bluetooth is everywhere these days, so why not in the dating world too. It’s still very cringy so maybe save it as a backup option.
53. Screw me if I’m wrong, but you want to kiss me, don’t you?
Meet one of the world’s cringiest pick-up lines. This might not end very well for you especially if you end up accidentally hitting on someone who isn’t single.
54. I bet you’ve heard every line in the book. So, what’s one more?
A bit lame and it’s one of the cringiest pick-up lines of all time. Besides, you’ll have to have another line ready after this one because they will definitely ask you to say it.
55. Is your father a thief? Because someone stole the stars from the sky and put them in your eyes.
This is some seriously cheesy stuff. This might just be one of the cringiest pick-up lines but it could be kind of romantic unless they get offended that you just insulted their father. Maybe steer clear of this one.
56. Are you from Tennessee? Because you’re the only ten I see!
Well, there’s a cringy pick-up line. This one has a chance on southerners, and honestly, even then, it’s a big maybe.
57. When I first saw you, I looked for a signature, because every masterpiece has one
Way too cheesy but maybe keep this as a last resort because it may work if used right. That’s better than most of the other lines.
58. You’re so beautiful that you made me forget my pick-up line
Not a bad fourth wall break but maybe keep a backup line. There’s a good chance that they’ll ask you to try saying one anyway.
59. Hey Girl, are you a murderer? Because your looks can kill
Pretty outdated. I don’t recommend using this one. Try something that can’t backfire because murder accusations may not go too well with everyone.
60. Was that an earthquake or did you just rock my world?
Pretty cringy but there’s something to be said about its uniqueness. This isn’t really an opening line so much as a closing line so be careful when you use it.
Related Reading: How To Start A Conversation With A Guy – 30 Tips
61. Mario is Red, Sonic is Blue, Will you be my Player 2?
Looks like Player 1 is all locked and loaded. This is one of the cringiest Tinder pick-up lines and it will only work if they are a gamer themselves. You’ve got to be sure of this fact before you try this out.
62. I’m going to have to ask you to leave. You’re making the other girls look bad
There’s a flattering yet extremely cringy pick-up line. Try harder.
63. You look so familiar. Didn’t we take a class together? I could’ve sworn we had chemistry
Nothing beats some school nostalgia and I’ve got to admit this line is kind of good. I’d give it a 5 out of 10 but there are still better ones out there so maybe keep this as a backup.
64. Do you like Star Wars? Cause Yoda only one for me
All you padawans out there maybe tread lightly with this one. This one will only work on a fellow Star Wars fan, and if they aren’t one, then you’d just come across as nerdy.
65. If you were a phaser on Star Trek, you’d be set to stun
As far as Star Trek lines go, you can do way better. This one’s a bit obvious. Besides, it won’t work on someone who isn’t well-versed with the series and movies because they’d have no clue what you’re talking about.
66. Remember me? Oh, that’s right, I’ve only met you in my dreams
Now, this one is the definition of cringe. Don’t even think about using this. It just makes you sound too full of yourself. No one wants to date someone like that. In short, this is one of the cringiest pick-up lines ever.
67. Are you a time traveler? Because I can see you in my future
Let’s all just grudgingly admit that this one is a pretty cute compliment. It’s super cringy but there might be a happy ending with this. Maybe save it as a backup.
68. I want our love to be like Pi: irrational and never-ending
Very technical, not everyone knows this. You don’t want to use such a smart line and then have them say “I don’t understand how the pie is never-ending if you’re eating it.” This would be a turn-off for you. And if you’re not good at math, then maybe don’t use this line because you won’t be able to follow the conversations that will follow this line if it works.
Related Reading: What To Text A Girl To Start A Conversation?
69. Is your name Ariel? Because we Mermaid for each other.
Nope, I think this one sets the bar of cringe-ness. Undoubtedly, one of the cringiest pick-up lines ever.
70. I’m writing a paper on the finer things in life and I was wondering if I can interview you
This one is a bit cheesy but it could work as a last resort if you’re seriously desperate. I wouldn’t recommend it.
So that covers quite a few of the cringiest pick-up lines in the world. Using pick-up lines is not as complicated as you think. All you need is confidence. The best part is that you don’t have to wait for their response. Or wonder how they’re feeling about you.
You’ll either hit or miss, which makes your life easier. You’ll know immediately if they’re interested in taking this forward or not. When you’re classy and perfect sometimes they might just play along because it feeds their ego. At least this way you’re both genuine about what you guys want. All the best!
50 Things To Talk About With Your Boyfriend And Know Him Better