In the realm of human connection, sexual intimacy stands as a potent catalyst, capable of transcending mere physicality and nurturing profound emotional bonds. Beyond mere pleasure, it entails fearlessly expressing our deepest desires, establishing a judgment-free haven for vulnerability, and embracing each other’s bodies. A robust sexual relationship acts as a conduit for transformation, nurturing acceptance, desire, and admiration, thereby forming the bedrock of a healthy partnership.
Once you understand sexual intimacy, meaning the importance of sex in a relationship, you’ll realize that sex undeniably plays a pivotal role in constructing enduring relationships. Let’s understand the importance of sexual intimacy in a relationship with insights from relationship and intimacy coach Shivanya Yogmayaa (internationally certified in the therapeutic modalities of EFT, NLP, CBT, REBT), who specializes in different forms of couples counseling.
What Is Sexual Intimacy?
Table of Contents
Shivanya emphasizes that good physical intimacy in relationship is one of the most important factors because it makes you feel accepted, desired, and admired. It can also help balance your mental health. Sexual intimacy involves:
- Deep emotional connection: Sexual intimacy involves open expression of desires and fantasies, fostering a profound emotional bond beyond physical interactions
- Fearless expression: Partners communicate their sexual needs without judgment, creating an accepting and non-shameful space
- Vulnerability and healing: Intimacy nurtures vulnerability, allowing partners to address past traumas together, leading to mutual healing
- Mutual exploration: Understanding the difference between lovemaking vs sex is necessary here. Partners openly share their sexual desires, building a unique connection and a sense of admiration
- Lasting bond: Sexual intimacy is key in cementing and strengthening the bond between a couple and creating a strong, lasting relationship through trust, understanding, and fulfillment
Shivanya adds, “Sexual intimacy, meaning that you’re open to trying and exploring something new, makes both partners feel free to explore their fantasies. If there are any vulnerabilities involved, meaning if there’s been some past trauma related to sex in childhood or teenage years, they’re able to bear that in a comforting and non-judgemental space with their partner. They can talk about their triggers such as negative reactions or resistance when they’re touched.”
How Sexual Intimacy Impacts Relationships
Sexual intimacy serves as a potent adhesive for relationships, binding partners both emotionally and physically. It instills feelings of acceptance, desire, and contentment, cultivating a profound connection that fortifies their bond. According to a study, emotional and sexual aspects of intimacy in a romantic relationship are important markers of a couple’s relationship satisfaction. It’s not a sex vs intimacy scenario. Each presents a distinct yet interconnected aspect of relationships, but both are equally important.
“Besides bringing various health benefits for both individuals, nurturing sexual intimacy helps a couple’s relationship flourish with heightened closeness, contentment, and a mutual sense of being cherished and wanted. A vibrant sexual life often translates to enhanced overall relationship satisfaction,” adds Shivanya. This fulfillment breeds confidence in one’s body and improves vitality, positively influencing interactions with others.
Both genders experience distinct sensations – women feel immersed in love, while men derive a sense of accomplishment from satisfying their partners. This shared fulfillment extends beyond the personal realm, influencing their interactions and even leadership capacities. Thus, emotional and sexual intimacy become catalysts for mutual prosperity and a healthy relationship.
Related Reading: 11 Confessions By Married People On Why They Stopped Having Sex
Benefits Of Sexual Intimacy
“Sex is like a lubricant that keeps the relationship moving like a well-oiled machine by enhancing the physical and emotional well-being of the partners equally,” explains Shivanya. It gives both partners the confidence that they can count on each other, making them feel secure in their relationship. Partners also feel like they have something to look forward to when they come together. When sexual intimacy is not fulfilling, the love, care, and touch too are not fulfilling. In such cases, both feel unsafe in the relationship.
When two people don’t feel safe in their relationship, they might not open up to each other. But in this case, physical touch can work as a love language. Sometimes, a loving touch speaks louder than words. By touching each other tenderly, partners can make each other feel safe and desired. It opens up space for a lot more in the relationship. The benefits of sexual intimacy go beyond the pleasurable aspects and also include:
1. Enhanced emotional bonding
Engaging in sexual intimacy fosters deeper closeness in a relationship between partners. The release of oxytocin, often referred to as the ‘love hormone’, during physically intimate moments promotes feelings of trust, affection, and attachment, reinforcing the emotional foundation of the relationship. You’ll feel closer to your romantic partner if you’re engaging in more intimate sex.
Related Reading: Sexless Marriage Effect On Husband – 9 Ways It Takes A Toll On Him
2. Stress reduction
Sexual intimacy can be a natural stress reliever. If you are in a sexless relationship, it affects stress levels in life. An intimate relationship triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s feel-good chemicals, which can help reduce stress and anxiety levels, leading to a sense of relaxation and overall well-being.
3. Improved sleep quality
Following moments of sexual intimacy, the body releases a hormone called prolactin, which is associated with feelings of relaxation and sleepiness. This can lead to improved sleep quality and overall restfulness, enhancing both partners’ physical and mental health.
4. Better immune system
There are several health benefits to having a good sex life. Studies suggest that engaging in regular sexual intimacy can enhance the immune system. It increases the production of immunoglobulin A (IgA), an antibody that helps protect the body against infections, making individuals less susceptible to illnesses. According to this research, sexually active women face a lower risk of cardiac events later in life.
5. Pain relief
The release of endorphins during sexual intimacy not only reduces stress but also acts as a natural pain reliever. These chemicals can help alleviate headaches, menstrual cramps, and other forms of physical discomfort.
6. Heightened self-esteem
A satisfying sexual connection with a partner can also help you feel better about yourself. But sexual rejection, on the other hand, can have the opposite effect. Shivanya says, “Positive sexual experiences and the sense of acceptance from one’s partner can significantly impact self-esteem and body image. Feeling desired and admired can lead to improved self-confidence and self-worth.”
7. Calorie burn
Sexual intimacy can be a form of physical exercise, burning calories and contributing to improved cardiovascular health. While it may not replace a regular workout routine, it can complement an active lifestyle.
8. Relationship satisfaction
A satisfying sexual connection often translates into overall relationship satisfaction. Open communication about desires and preferences fosters trust, understanding, and a shared sense of fulfillment, promoting a healthy and long-lasting partnership. It is one of the core values in a relationship. In long-term relationships, both partners must have enough physical contact and sexual pleasure. Without physical closeness, the health of the relationship will suffer.
Tips For Improving Sexual Intimacy
Sexual intimacy is a journey that requires effort, patience, and a willingness to grow together. By actively nurturing your connection and embracing vulnerability, you can create a fulfilling and passionate sexual relationship with your partner.
Improving sexual intimacy in a relationship requires openly communicating feelings with your partner, trust, and a willingness to explore and connect with your partner on a deeper level. Here are some tips to enhance sexual intimacy:
1. Communication is key
To ensure a successful marriage or relationship, talk openly and honestly with your partner about your desires, needs, and boundaries. Create a safe space where both of you feel comfortable expressing your thoughts and fantasies. Shivanya recommends the following tips for clear communication to improve your sexual experiences:
- Open dialogue: Foster better sexual intimacy through honest conversations about desires, boundaries, and fantasies
- Active listening: Deepen your connection by listening to your partner’s needs and preferences without judgment
- Non-verbal cues: Enhance intimacy by paying attention to body language and reactions, responding intuitively
- Timing and setting: Choose appropriate moments and comfortable settings for intimate discussions, ensuring both partners are relaxed
- Feedback loop: Regularly exchange feedback to refine and explore new experiences, nurturing a fulfilling and evolving connection
Related Reading: 7 Things No One Tells You About Married Sex
2. Prioritize emotional connection
Building emotional intimacy outside the bedroom strengthens the bond inside it. Engage in meaningful conversations, spend quality time together, and show affection and appreciation for each other regularly. Shivanya recommends sexual intimacy exercises like using intimacy cards. Games like these can help in opening up, especially when you’re a new couple. These playful cards dedicated to the sensuality and sexuality of both partners help even if one partner is very hesitant in expressing their wants and desires. Even non-sexual touch helps a lot in fostering this intimacy.
3. Explore each other’s fantasies
For deeper sensual intimacy, it is important that both partners feel open and free. Be open to trying new things and exploring each other’s sexual fantasies. This can add excitement and novelty to your sexual experiences, deepening your connection. Whether your partner wishes to experiment with different approaches or use sex toys and aids to spice things up, indulge in their fantasies. That’s the key to improving physical intimacy in relationships.
4. Focus on foreplay
Spend time on foreplay to build anticipation and arousal. This can heighten pleasure and create a more fulfilling sexual relationship and physical intimacy for both partners. You can either try out some sexual intimacy exercises or try to fulfill each other’s sexual fantasies in bed.
Here are a few exercises that might help:
- Desire mapping: Each partner creates a list of their desires and fantasies separately. Both then share and discuss them openly to explore mutual interests
- Sensory exploration: Blindfold one partner and use various textures, temperatures, and sensations to heighten awareness and build trust
- Roleplay: Experiment with role-play scenarios, fostering new perspectives and igniting fresh passion
- Tantric breathing: Engage in synchronized breathing during intimacy to deepen emotional and physical connection, promoting a more intense experience
5. Be mindful and present
Sex and emotions are intricately linked and affect relationship intimacy deeply. Focus on the moment and be present during your intimate encounters. Emotional closeness is extremely important for a relationship to be successful. Eliminate distractions and allow yourself to fully engage in the experience. Take time to explore your partner’s body. This will also make it easier to resolve any sexual intimacy issues as and when they arrive.
Related Reading: 5 Ways Exercise And Fitness Improve Your Sex Drive
6. Take care of your health
Physical well-being plays a significant role in sexual intimacy. Sure, sex has several health benefits, but the converse is also true: being healthy is important for a good sex life. Here are a few tips to help you maintain good health:
- Regular exercise: Engage in physical activity to improve cardiovascular health, maintain weight, and boost overall energy, impacting sexual vitality positively. You can even try couples’ workouts for sexual intimacy to complement your fitness regimen
- Balanced diet: Consume nutrient-rich foods, such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains, promoting proper hormonal balance and circulation
- Adequate sleep: Prioritize quality sleep to enhance mood, reduce stress, and support healthy hormone production. This is crucial for sexual well-being
- Stress management: Practice relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga, or deep breathing to reduce stress levels that can hinder sexual function
- Open communication: Discuss health concerns with your partner and healthcare professionals, addressing any issues affecting sexual health promptly
7. Experiment with sensuality
There are several ways to deepen physical intimacy for enhanced physical closeness. Create an impromptu date night at home and explore sexual acts beyond intercourse, such as sensual massage, kissing, or taking a bath together. These activities can foster a deeper sense of intimacy and connection. Trying new things in the bedroom will make the intimate act more fulfilling and ensure mutual pleasure.
Related Reading: If You Really Want To Make Your Wife Happy Give Her Some Me Time
8. Seek professional help if needed
Issues related to sexual intimacy can arise at any time in any relationship, whether you’ve been together a long time or are still in the initial stage of dating. An unsatisfying sexual connection can take a toll on other aspects of the relationship, driving partners apart.
If you or your partner face challenges related to sexual intimacy, consider seeking guidance from a sex therapist or counselor. They can help you identify the root of the issue and equip you with the necessary tools to overcome it. If you’re looking for help, skilled and experienced sexual health experts on Bonobology’s panel are here for you.
- A fulfilling sex life helps improve mental health, and sexual health. The benefits of a good sex life can be seen clearly in healthy relationships
- A good sex life can enhance feelings and improve personal relationships as well. Try out new and intimate sex positions to keep things interesting
- Physical touch and physical closeness are important components of healthy relationships
- Not connecting sexually with your partner can affect the relationship negatively
- Sexual intimacy in marriage sometimes takes a backseat. Try to revive it through experimenting with your desires and kinks
- If nothing else works, scheduling intimacy is also a good way of getting back on track
Sexual intimacy, a vital aspect of human connections, goes beyond physical pleasure, encompassing sexual affection and a range of intimate expressions that nurture relationships. If you’re still wondering, “Why is sex so important in a relationship?”, it is because, among other things, a healthy sexual relationship can improve the mental health of both sexual partners.
However, the effects of lack of intimacy in a relationship can be detrimental, leading to emotional distance and potential sexual dysfunction. By recognizing the significance of different types of intimacy and addressing sexual intimacy issues with care and understanding, couples can cultivate a deeper and more fulfilling bond, enhancing their relationship and overall quality of life.