When we speak of the astrological sun signs, there are about 12 zodiac signs divided across different months of the year. Depending on our birth date and months, the zodiac signs are assigned to each one of us. The differing characteristics and personalities of each of the 12 zodiac signs are listed below. Let’s learn a bit about each!
With its origin in Babylonian culture, the zodiac signs were soon adopted by many such tribes and spread across as common astrological tools. The Hellenistic culture also had their influence in studying these 12 signs and modifying them a bit too. Today, these are the signs followed by everyone as a part of Western Astrology.
Zodiac Signs are primarily patterns formed by numerous stars in the sky, also known as constellations in astronomy. These constellations are unique and represent the arrangement of the stars at the time of one’s birth. This is said to have an impact on how an individual builds his personality in the future.
The Positives And Negatives Of Each Zodiac Sign
Table of Contents
Every zodiac sign has its own unique traits; strengths as well as areas they must work upon to become the best version of themselves. This is why astrology is studied in such depth. It allows people to gain a perspective of themselves and improve upon their shortcomings, or to prepare themselves against a hurdle in the future due to the current or past star arrangements.
While not all of us tend to believe the writing in the sky, some find their beliefs are deep-rooted in astrology and are regular readers of daily horoscopes, unique to each sign.
The 12 zodiac signs are divided amongst the four elements – water, air, fire and earth. Each element holds four zodiac signs. The earth/water/fire/air characteristics give us a great insight into the similarities as well as differences between all the zodiac sign characteristics.
While this article will not provide you with your horoscopes, it will definitely give you an in-depth understanding of what positives and negatives are associated with your zodiac sign. Worried that you’re not aware of your zodiac sign? Don’t worry! Read on to figure that out.
Related Reading: How Moon Sign Compatibility Determines Your Love Life
Aries – The Fearless One
Aries is the first sign of the Zodiac and is often associated with being the “baby.” This is not because they are immature but because they are the ones with whom the entire zodiac cycle begins. Let’s get into the details. (We wouldn’t want to keep an Aries waiting!)
Aries is a Fire element sign which means that they exhibit high-energy traits. They’re loud, chirpy, full of life and adventurous. They believe in taking life as it comes and do not regret things they didn’t do. Aries are spontaneous and fun-loving in nature.
Birthday and month – March 21 – April 19
Symbol – The Ram
Element – Fire
Planet Lord – Mars
Compatible Signs – Sagittarius, Leo and Aries
So now that you know if you’re Aries or not, let’s begin talking about the positives and negatives of this zodiac sign. Do let us know how relatable they were!
(Note: Not all zodiac sign characteristics will be applicable to every reader. Astrology is subjective and dependent on a lot more than just our zodiac Sun signs.)
Positives of Aries
- If you ever want a friend who’s adventurous and wild, you need to befriend an Aries! They’re always up for a task that seems impossible or are ready to travel to places that scream danger. They’re the party animal – always the life of a party!
- Although Aries are classified as the ones who take the maximum risks, they’re supremely responsible individuals who make it a point to take care of the ones around them. Being the baby of the zodiac, they show a lot of empathy and care toward ones in
- Not every situation needs to be over thought and who better to teach us that than an Aries! They’re impulsive and tend to make decisions quickly without complicating things too much.
- An Aries would never shy away from being generous, both in terms of money as well as love. You will always find them giving more than they get.
- One of the biggest positives of the Aries sign is that they’re super cheerful! There is never a dull day around an Aries. They’re often smiling and ready to wrap you up in a cloud of happiness since it is their mission to spread joy.
Negatives of Aries
- With their wild side, comes a sense of insensitivity in their speech. People often tend to misunderstand their brutal honesty and think them to be rude, and this makes for a smaller circle of friends for an Aries.
- At times their impulsiveness lands them in trouble as they do not take the time to speculate the pros and cons of a decision before making it.
- Since they are strong-headed and determined about everything, they tend to become argumentative if they don’t keep an open mind. The term ‘bull-headed’ truly seems to make sense here.
Pro tip: Remember Aries, it is always important to listen to others’ opinions too!
Taurus – The Persistent One
Taurus, the second Zodiac Sign is often known to be one of the most genius and intriguing signs of the Zodiac. Being an Earth sign, Taurus is extremely loving and practical. They are neither morose nor wild and impulsive. They tend to take calculated decisions about any issue at hand and are very composed in their demeanor.
Taurus is the first Earth element zodiac sign. Some Earth zodiac sign characteristics are sharp, unbiased, logical and intelligent. They reason out everything and do not act on impulse. Earth sign elements do not believe in impulsiveness and are not the ones who indulge in irresponsible behavior. They’re wise and have their feet planted firmly on the ground.
Birthday and month – April 20 – May 20
Symbol – The Bull
Element – Earth
Planet Lord – Venus
Compatible Signs – Virgo, Capricorn and Taurus
Let’s talk about the positive and the negative aspects of the zodiac sign Taurus!
Positives of Taurus
- The sign of Taurus is ruled by Venus, the goddess of beauty and love. The natives of this sign are extremely charming and physically appealing. They have sharp features and tend to know exactly what to say.
- They are decisive and know how to weigh a situation in the right light in order to take a decision that serves in the best interest of all.
- The natives of this sign are extremely patient and tend to give others around them a lot of room to discuss.
- Taurus is often associated with being very talented and benevolent in nature. They’re engaged in various artistic pursuits and charitable events.
- Being ruled by Venus, Taurus is the most romantic zodiac sign next to Libra. If you want a partner who buys you flowers without being asked to, then Taurus is the one you want!
Negatives of Taurus
- There are many a tale which talk about the dominating side of a Taurus native. They tend to get over-powering and deaf to others’ opinions unintentionally.
- Taurus natives are also often seen as stubborn or obstinate because they refuse to budge from the decision they’ve already taken.
- They need to embrace the spontaneity or impulsiveness of others sometimes and remember that it is okay for things to be unplanned.
Pro tip: Try to be a little less materialistic and focus on the more intangible aspects of life!
Gemini – The Talkative One
Represented by the twins, Gemini is often known as a dual sign. The natives of this sign are found to be chatterboxes who love to mingle with new people and live life carefree. They are not future planners and their motto tends to be “live life one day at a time”. Are you dating a Gemini man? Your Gemini friend is most likely to be the most social yet anti- social person in your group. Yup, they throw amazing parties too.
Air signs are often of the said characteristics – carefree, fun-loving, chirpy, independent and fiercely in love with freedom. Is it easy to contain air? Well, then how could it be any different with these individuals! The zodiac sign characteristics are often similar when they belong to the same element – air/fire/water/earth.
Birthday and month – May 21 – June 21
Symbol – The Twins
Element – Air
Planet Lord – Mercury
Compatible Signs – Aquarius, Libra and Gemini
Let’s try to decode one of the most complicated signs of the zodiac!
Positives of Gemini
- Ruled by Mercury, Geminis are master communicators. They know exactly what you are going to say and what to say in any conversation. If conversation is an art, then Geminis are artists.
- They are one of the smartest people in the zodiac because Mercury is the god of both communication as well as wisdom.
- Geminis are generally very amicable and you would never find yourself getting bored in their company. They really know how to entertain their friends and guests.
- Because of their twin nature, they tend to excel at opposing things which makes them multi-talented. They are never restricted to only one field or one profession.
- They are of a sweet and gentle nature, and you would seldom find them getting aggressive or abusive.
Negatives of Gemini
- Their mastery over their oratory skills often earns them the tag of being manipulative. If used in a negative way, their skill can often lead to unwanted gossip, rumors and bad-blood amongst other people.
- They are fickle and not very decisive. They can often sway from one decision to another without a concrete basis.
- They are never fully and completely committed to anything because of their dual personality traits. Their moods often fluctuate and so do their commitment level.
Pro tip: Sometimes it’s best to talk less and listen more!
Cancer – The Compassionate One
The Cancer natives are seen as one of the more deadly signs of the zodiac, and not just because of their numerous qualities, but also because of their thirst for vengeance. That being said, Cancer natives are also one of the most giving and compassionate signs of the zodiac. If you befriend one, you will never see another lonely day because they will always be around to support you and cheer you on.
Trying to find out ways to woo your Cancer man?
The Water element’s zodiac sign characteristics generally include kindness and compassion. Like water, they are eternally flexible and do not have a problem adjusting to situations. They love to give and are the most emotional signs of the zodiac. They put others’ needs before their own, and engage in many artistic and altruistic activities in their lifetime.
Birthday and month – June 22- July 22
Symbol – The Crab
Element – Water
Planet Lord – Moon
Compatible Signs – Pisces, Scorpio and Cancer
Let’s find out a little more about the characteristics of Cancer natives!
Positives of Cancer
1. They are sweet and warm-natured individuals who instantly give you the feeling of coming back home. If you have any Cancer friends, you already know how they remind you of your mothers and grandmothers by the way they are always looking after you, right?
2. Their communication skills are top-notch and not only are they are good verbal communicators, but also excel at writing and sketching.
3. Their sense of reading people’s emotions is very accurate and precise. Since they are ruled by the Moon, they are naturally adept at understanding what goes on inside a person’s heart.
4. They are quick to accept their fault and correct themselves should you explain to them a different viewpoint.
5. They are loyal to a fault and always stand by the ones who love and respect them.
Negatives of Cancer
1. Their emotions are very powerful and the natives of Cancer have proved it over and over again. Their emotions bring in a lot of positivity but are also accompanied by negative emotions. If you cross or betray a Cancer, they will most definitely hunt you down and make you regret it. (Jokes aside, there’s nothing they hate more than betrayal.)
2. Sometimes emotions overflow and make them vulnerable in front of the wrong people. This leads to being taken advantage of and no one likes that, do they?
3. Being as loyal as Cancer natives are, they tend to hide or protect the flaws of the ones they love which might be counter-productive.
Pro tip: An excess of even the good emotions could lead to bad results!
Leo – The Leader
The zodiac sign Leo is often considered as the most ferocious and courageous sign of all. Characterized by the lion, Leos are seen as leaders and trend-setters. Wherever they go, they tend to explore and establish new things and people like to follow.
Like Aries, they are a fire sign and hence, extremely energetic and determined.
Even though the zodiac sign characteristics for the fire element scream childishness and innocence, Leo natives handle themselves better than Aries and Sagittarius.
Birthday and month – July 23 – August 22
Symbol – The Lion
Element – Earth
Planet Lord – Venus
Compatible Signs – Virgo, Capricorn and Taurus
Here’s what we need to know about their positive and negative aspects.
Positives of Leo
1. Symbolized by the Lion, these natives are born leaders and tend to be the ones that other people respect and follow. They are good at leading and guiding people.
2. They are extremely trustworthy. If a Leo has promised you something, there are very few chances he would back out. When you choose a Leo partner, you can rest assured that all promises made will be kept.
3. They take respect, very seriously. If you love a Leo or you’re a Leo yourself, you’ll notice how the respect of their loved ones is always their top priority.
4. They are great with analytical skills. People who are Leo natives are generally great with numerical subjects and tend to make a career out of it.
5. They are confident individuals and tend to always focus on self-grooming and self-discipline.
Negatives of Leo
1. They often come off as dominating and closed-off. People tend to avoid them at social gatherings and other places for this very reason.
2. At times, Leo natives are stubborn and refuse to accept change. This is a mindset they should change, because sometimes you just have to be a Roman in Rome, right?
3. Although they don’t show it, Leos are extremely sensitive and this might work as a disadvantage. People overlook the fact that these natives could be emotionally hurt, because of their hard exterior which ends up bruising the native’s ego and feelings.
Pro tip: It’s okay to show that you care and it’s important to taste failure too!
Virgo – The Perfectionist
Of all the signs in the Zodiac, Virgos are the most overlooked and underrated. With their timeliness and discipline, they could conquer the world. They’re firm believers of the “Work is Worship” maxim and cannot be found sitting idle. Ruled by Mercury, they’re as smart and as smooth with words as Geminis. Looking for clues to find out if your Virgo man is into you?
Virgos are under the Earth element and therefore their zodiac sign characteristics are similar to the natives of Taurus and Capricorn.
Birthday and month – August 23 – September 22
Symbol – The Virgin
Element – Earth
Planet Lord – Mercury
Let’s have a little chat about what they’re good at and what needs some improvement!
Positives of Virgo
1. They pay close attention to details and do not make even the smallest of mistakes in any task that they undertake.
2. Virgos are generally soft-spoken and amicable. They get along with everyone easily and do not have a problem with blending in.
3. Virgos have a great fashion sense due to their unique artistic perceptions and outlook.
4. You would find a Virgo native to be a part of every kind of group there is, and they have contacts everywhere. A new piece of hot, buzzing news? Chances are, a Virgo has already heard it!
5. A Virgo is spoilt for choice when choosing a professional field – they could go artistic or analytical.
Negatives of Virgo
1. Because of their ease at communication, sometimes they engage in awful rumor-mongering or gossiping around the office or college. They must fight the urge to talk about people behind their back in order to retain the love and respect of those around them.
2. Their dire need of perfection makes them work too hard and micromanage everything. They have a tough time delegating duties and responsibilities. Workaholics of the Zodiac, Virgos need to remind themselves to rest.
3. They have a reputation of tying their self-worth to their work or their performance. Virgo natives must remember that one bad day or project does not define who they are or what they’re capable of!
Pro tip: Even a broken clock is twice right, don’t fret over your imperfections!
Libra – The Balanced One
The most level-headed and composed of all, Librans are practical beings. They dwell in the reality of a situation and never get ahead of themselves. They manage to balance everything happening in their life in a way that smoothes it all out. There is no better manager than a Libra native! They are rightly represented by the Scales showing how balanced they truly are. They are the perfect partners or soulmates in a relationship.
Librans are Air signs and share some traits with Geminis as far as their personalities are concerned.
Birth day and month – September 23 – October 23
Symbol – The Scales
Element – Air
Planet Lord – Venus
Read on to find out the best and the worst about the sign of Libra!
Positives of Libra
1. Natives of Libra possess a lot of composure and act responsibly in all situations. They’re often tagged as the “mom” of a group because of their quality of looking after those in need.
2. They are gentle and loving which makes them the kind of person in a family who just keeps on giving, refusing to take anything in return. Irrespective of their gender, if you have a Libra in your life, hold on and don’t let go!
3. They are crazy protective of the ones they love. Ready to fight off anyone for their beloved, you’ll always have a knight in shining armor or a mama bear around if you have a Libran!
4. Their planet Lord, Venus, makes them crave physical as well emotional attention, but they return the double they demand.
5. Generally chirpy and self-satisfied, they do not interfere in other people’s business and tend to stick to their agendas and schedules.
Negatives of Libra
1. Getting overly-cautious about something is a bummer, isn’t it Librans? Maybe having a little more faith in the Universe and a little less apprehension would help you go a long way!
2. Be wary of how much you give, sometimes its good to keep a count. Make sure that the amount of time and emotions you’re investing in someone isn’t draining you or your resources.
3. If they do end up miscalculating, they must avoid being arrogant and shouldn’t blame the ones around them!
Pro tip : You don’t have to skeptical about everything, loosen up!
Scorpio – The Mysterious One
Having an influence of Pluto makes the Scorpio natives rather mysterious and people often tend to be uncertain about these individuals. One never knows what they’re thinking or what is it that they truly desire. They’re elusive and reserved. If you’re a Scorpio native reading this, this is your signal to talk about your feelings more!
Scorpio males make excellent lovers and even better husbands! Here are the 10 reasons why.
Scorpio is a water sign and, very much like Cancer, tends to share all the subsequent traits of those born under the water sign category. Their zodiac sign characteristics are often deceptive and tough to generalize, but don’t worry! We’re here to help you crack the Scorpio code.
Birth day and month – October 24 – November 22
Symbol – The Scorpion
Element – Water
Planet Lord – Pluto, Mars
Here’s our attempt at decoding the most complicated sign of the Zodiac!
Positives of Scorpio
1. Scorpio natives are highly intuitive and mystical beings. They seem to be lost in their own world but that’s just because we don’t understand their perceptions of a situation!
2. They have many artistic abilities and are multi-talented in their field. They’re excellent poets, dancers, musicians and sketch artists.
3. Their ability to apply reason to everything pushes them to debate over almost anything. The influence of Mars gives them a strong urge to convince people about what they believe in.
4. They’re empaths and effortlessly connect with the pain of any individual. With their natural wisdom, they know how to be respectful yet straight with people about their issues.
5. They believe in the goodness of people and engage in altruistic activities, working for the betterment of the society.
Negatives of Scorpio
1. Much like Cancer, Scorpio natives tend to seek revenge if crossed and do not take criticism well.
2. Natives must realize that not everyone understands and values emotions as they do and forgiveness is the key to happiness in life.
3. They must be careful to not become argumentative and must accept other’s viewpoints. They need to be more welcoming of change.
Pro tip : Respect can only be earned!
Sagittarius – The Optimistic One
The chirpiest and silliest of them all, the Sagittarius! Truly, out of the 12 zodiac signs, Sagittarius is the most fun-loving and child-like sign. They’re the life of a party and know how to show you a good time. Sagittarians are loved by all – friends, family and partners. They live to please people and love to be in the public eye.
Much like all the other signs, a Sagittarius women has some peculiar traits when she is in love. These are some of the ways she might adopt if she has fallen for you! Being a fire sign, they’re much like Leo and Aries. They do not share the composure and stoic nature of Leos, but match rather well with the personality of an Aries.
Birth day and month – November 23 – December 21
Symbol – The Archer
Element – Fire
Planet Lord – Jupiter
Let’s jump into the positives and negatives of this zodiac sign and try to match the energy that they possess!
Positives of Sagittarius
1. As mentioned before, their energy and levels of optimism, speak louder than them and attracts everyone’s attention the moment they make an entrance. There’s not a single head that wouldn’t turn when it comes to a Sagittarian!
2. They bring the X factor. Whether it be an artistic field or a technical one, their aura and vibe tends to attract the right things from the Universe.
3. Although their energy levels are always high, they are tender and warm and never make their loved ones feel inadequate.
4. They are very giving and always go overboard in helping others even at the cost of their own resources.
Negatives of Sagittarius
1. The fun-loving Sagittarian can sometimes be accused of wanting too much attention. They give without thinking and they expect the opposite too. When that does not happen, a Sagittarius can become extremely glum and morose.
2. As an attempt to always look bright and happy, they have a habit of masking their emotions and pretending to be happy in some situations.
3. More often than not, it becomes very tough for a Sagittarius to say ‘no’ to anything.
Pro tip : Don’t be afraid of sharing your bad days with the ones around you!
Capricorn- The Cautious One
Capricorn, a sign ruled Saturn, is one of the most sorted and composed signs of the Zodiac. They are risk-takers but only those risks which have been thoroughly thought through. They party hard, but only when it’s not a Monday the next day. They love ferociously, but only when they’re sure that what they have is real. They take their chances at things, but only on those that won’t let them down.
Capricorn is an Earth sign and their zodiac sign characteristics include humility and rationality. They do not live their lives based on a whim and they sure as hell do not give into mindless cravings or fantasies.
Birth day and month – December 22 – January 21
Symbol – The Goat
Element – Earth
Planet Lord – Saturn
Want to know more about their positive and negative aspects? Read on!
Related Reading: Ranked: Zodiac Signs Most Likely To Cheat In Relationships
Positives of Capricorn
1. They adhere to logic and common sense to guide them through any difficult situation.
2. As lovers, they’re in it for the long haul. If they have given you their commitment, they will never let you down. Passionate and caring, Capricorn lovers are a delight!
3. They never engage in “she said – he said battle of words.” They mind their own business and never interfere in the matters of others.
4. They know how to turn off their work mode and are very fluid in switching to their party mode.
5. You can always count on your Capricorn friends to have your back – they are always the sober ones driving their friends back home.
Negatives of Capricorn
1. Their calculating attitude might be off-putting to a lot of people and that is why they generally have a small circle of friends.
2. Capricorns might have trouble adjusting to new places or to change as they’re very stubborn in nature and resist anything new.
3. Their bluntness is also a cause of concern because it ends up hurting the feelings of many.
Pro tip : Relax and loosen up a bit, the world isn’t full of sorrows!
Aquarius – The Independent One
Out of all the 12 Zodiac signs, Aquarius is the most aloof and independent sign. They love their freedom and are very afraid to let go of it. They believe in the “live and let live” policy where neither do they interfere in your life nor do they want you to have a say in theirs. As children or parents, they’re very loving and homely, but do not like to be disturbed. They spend a lot of time by themselves and yet, are extremely social beings.
Aquarius is the last Air sign of the Zodiac and the 11th sign in all. They are care-free and risk-taking with a very sober and gentle side to their personality as well. Here are some sure-shot signs than an Aquarius is in love with you!
Birth day and month – January 22 – February 18
Symbol – The Water Carrier
Element – Air
Planet Lord – Uranus
Here’s a list of their positive and negative traits!
Positives of Aquarius
1. You would never feel suffocated around an Aquarius as they are always open to people following their heart and doing what they think right.
2. They’re very helpful and are always on the go, bringing joy to the people around them.
3. They’re comfortable in social situations and love meeting new people and exploring new places.
4. They’re experimental and are always trying a new style or look, or a new dish to cook. They’re super fun to hang out with because they could never bore you!
5. They’re excellent story-tellers and have a great imagination.
Negatives of Aquarius
1. They are stubborn when it comes to ideas pertaining to themselves. They would never take a suggestion of improvement or show any remorse while discarding an opinion on how they should do something specific.
2. Their power of imagination often characterizes them as an efficient liar of the zodiac system. This is not always true, but because they have a habit of staying aloof, a lot of blame is usually pinned down on an Aquarius.
3. Aquarius natives have a tendency to get jealous as someone tries to get close their partners, even as a friend.
Pro tip : The world is ready for your quirkiness, bring it on!
Pisces – The Intuitive One
Alongside Scorpio, Pisces is one of the most elusive and misunderstood signs of the Zodiac. (I must warn you though, you’re hearing about this from a Pisces herself, don’t mind the bias!) Jokes aside, being ruled by Neptune and Jupiter, Pisces is the last Zodiac sign and the wisest of them all. All natives of Pisces might not portray the same wisdom but they have a deep-seated consciousness of right and wrong.
Neptune has a tendency to be dreamy and deceptive as a planet and induces the same emotions within the natives of Pisces. They’re often found to be mentally absent or not wanting to be at the place they’re currently in.
Pisces is the last Water sign of the Zodiac and shares its traits with Cancer and Scorpio. Water signs are fluid, peaceful and emotional, but they have their dark sides too.
Want to know the Pisces’ characteristics in depth? Here are some interesting personality traits to know!
Birth day and month – February 19 – March 20
Symbol – The Fishes
Element – Water
Planet Lord – Jupiter, Neptune
Let’s dive deep into the last Zodiac sign and try to figure them out some more!
Positives of Pisces
1. The natives of Pisces are very fond of all the artistic fields. They’re excellent painters, writers, singers and dancers. With Neptune as one of their Lords and being a water element, they tend to stick with creative pursuits and professions more.
2. They’re the most emotional signs of the Zodiac and they always take care of others’ emotions too. They’re sensitive and aware of how much pain an emotional breakdown might cause.
3. Pisces are extremely intelligent, similar to Sagittarius, as both these signs share Jupiter as their Lord. Jupiter is the God of Knowledge and blesses the natives with curious and inquisitive minds.
4. They’re great at public speaking and stand-up poetry because of their wonderful ability to express and feel emotions.
5. They’re honest and humble, and would never try to compete or cross you.
Negatives of Pisces
1. They’re dreamy and do not pay attention to things as much as they should which makes people think of them as uninterested or rude.
2. They’re fickle because their emotions get the better of them at times and they tend to give up quickly. They find it hard to trust people as well.
3. Like Aquarius, they’re great at story-telling and good at manipulating people at times.
Pro tip: Do not be afraid to trust people more, not everyone’s the same!
And that’s a wrap, folks! These were some of the zodiac sign characteristics listed after careful research and observation. Each sign is unique and has traits that the others would kill for. While it is good to admire and take inspiration from other zodiac signs, it is always a good idea to stick to your roots and be you! That is after all the best thing to be, right?
Could you relate to your zodiac sign characteristics? We hope it struck a chord with you. It feels good to understand ourselves and understand why we do what we do. Astrology is subjective and therefore, a little inaccurate sometimes. It is advisable to not depend completely on one’s horoscopes while analyzing a person’s behavior. Leave some room for observation as well.
However, some common traits and characteristics allow us to be ready and prepare ourselves of what might come our way.
Read, analyze and have fun. Ciao!