No matter how many pictures you have put in your Tinder profile and how many times you have WhatsApp each other, still the first impression carries a lot of weight. First impressions are only granted once. A series of experiments have been conducted on the subject matter of ‘first impression’ and most of them reveal that all it takes is a tenth of a second to form an impression of a stranger from their face, while it takes around 7 seconds to create a first impression based on appearances.
Another fact that was highlighted in the research was that first impressions based solely on appearance are actually fairly accurate. That is where dressing for a date becomes important. No matter what they say, appearance does matter to women and they are drawn to healthy and attractive looking men. For that reason, dress sharp and dress well.
How the appearance of a man matters to woman?
A man’s physical attractiveness has a strong impact on a woman’s mating preferences. 1 Your date is sizing you up. When you meet a woman for the first time she is judging your personality based on your appearance. And here are some very important tips when it comes to dressing:
- The dressing according to the occasion: Women will notice how you dress for a particular place. She will think you are overdressed if you are wearing a three-piece suit to a bar, as it portrays you as an eager, trying too hard kind of guy. On the other hand, dressing like a slob will paint a picture of you as being immature and lazy
- Looking attractive: Women do notice how attractive you are in the first appearance, just as men do, but with a little more credence. So dress accordingly, keeping in mind your body structure and skin tone, without overemphasising anything. Just because you have good biceps doesn’t mean you will wear the latex Tee to show them off
- Being confident and comfortable: Another thing women notice right away is how confidently you carry yourself and how comfortable you are in your attire. This will build up the confidence in you as a person. So feel confident and comfortable in whatever brands you are wearing. Talking about brands – just be careful that you do not come across as a braggart or arrogant
- Being well groomed: Your personal hygiene might not always be important to you, but it is to the women you’re courting. Women will notice how well groomed you are. Your branded clothes will not be able to mask the crud under the nails or the muck on your hair
- A genuine smile: Many women tend to notice the guy’s smile. They notice the physical aspect of the smile, as in the jaw line and the health of the teeth and how the breath smells. But most prominently, a woman can totally tell when he is faking a smile. An innocent genuine smile can easily make her ignore some of his flaws. Yes, a good smile does make a difference!
Related reading: Things that girls always notice on a date
How should a man dress for his first date?
Dressing correctly can help you look better by strengthening your positive features and minimising your less than attractive ones. Make an effort to dress. Signal to her that the date is important for you and you have really thought about which clothes to put on. Irrespective of how the date is arranged, whether your friends or family have set you up or it’s your online choice, you can mutually decide on a casual date or a formal dinner date.
Dressing for a dinner date
A dinner date requires a more formal way of dressing and is strictly applicable to very formal fine dining settings. Your first choice should always be a suit, preferably in a dark colour. However, if you decide not to wear a suit, you can go for a blazer. During the daytime, you can replace the blazer with a sports jacket. If you decide to go fully formal with a suit, it’s always better to complete the look by wearing a tie. Always remember, you can never go wrong with a suit. Even if no one else is wearing one, it’s perfectly okay to arrive at an event looking like a million dollars.
Dressing for a casual date
If you are going on a casual date, it’s okay to dress in a relaxed way. This doesn’t, however, mean that you can dress shabbily. Wearing sports or office clothes is a strict no-no. The ideal clothes would be a pair of well-fitted jeans and a collared T-shirt or a half-sleeved shirt. Depending on the weather, you can add a sports jacket to this ensemble and a casual leather belt and you are good to go!
Related reading: Hot to impress a girl on a date?
Important dressing tips for a perfect first date
When you are meeting a woman for the first time, she will notice tiny little details about how you have dressed up, and how you talk and behave. To impress her and take your game to the next level, you need to ensure that you do not spoil the cahances for the next date just because you were not careful with your clothes. These tips would help-
- Add a little colour: Even though black looks classy every time, going all black, beige or monochrome can make you look boring. At the same time, do not go all flashy with vibrant colours and blind her. Maintain a colour balance in a subtle way for an attractive, not-too-staid look. Some colour combinations that are always in vogue are dark blue/brown combo, contrasting light blue/mustard combination, brown/rich wine combo, grey/beige/light blue combo, dark green/brown combo, etc.
- Shoes: There is no point in dressing well if you don’t pay attention to your shoes. No matter how trivial you think shoes are, be sure that your date will check those out. Shoes say a lot about your personality and attention to detail. Make sure your shoes are clean, stylish and above all appropriate. When selecting shoes, adhere to dress code first, which is linked to the venue of the date. Formal shoes for formal dates and casual shoes (not your running shoes) or boots for casual dates (flip flops are a strict no). Try and create aesthetics by matching your trousers to your shoes – and then go for comfort. Don’t wear new leather shoes on your first date. Limping, due to shoe bite, isn’t attractive
- The scent: Your cologne says highlights your personality and attractiveness. Your cologne might be strong and bold or elegant, light and fresh. Test it with some of your female friends to find the one that matches you well. Make sure you wear it very conservatively. Deodorant is for everyday use and its sole purpose is to cover the smell of sweat (ignore all the deo ads you watched on TV). It is wise in invest in a superior men’s perfume that suits your personality and dab on a little for your first date
- Hairstyle: Have good hair by keeping it clean and neatly combed. You may gel your hair, but moderation is the key. Do not try a new hairstyle just before your first date. Spikes are good only for a casual date. However, there is a thin line between stylish spikes and hippie punk style. Make sure you know the difference
- Accessories: A nice watch is the one piece of jewellery that looks great on every man. It says a lot about your personal style, and at times even your level of success. Choose your watch according to the venue of your date. Avoid extra bling. A small stylish pocket square in your suits pocket is apt for the formal date, as it can elevate your style in the eyes of a woman, because it shows you pay attention to the details. A stylish leather or denim jacket can complement your casual date look
Once you meet your date and show her how well groomed and well dressed you are, just focus on making her comfortable, and above all, just have a good time and let Cupid do his job.