Bringing your A-game to a date goes way beyond wearing attractive clothes, stepping out of a sleek car and using expensive cologne. Sure, women will be attracted to a man who can do a class act, but that’s not all that they are looking for. Often, there are mistakes that you tend to make on a date unconsciously, which don’t reflect well on you. These mistakes can make or break your date. If you keep repeating these, you will soon have to find a new date!
So gentlemen, why don’t we take a look at some of the biggest dating mistakes that men tend to make. And try to avoid them.
Top 15 mistakes that men make during their dates
- Talking too much about yourself: This is a major turn-off for your date. You come across as a person who is self-obsessed. Also, you lose the element of mystery around you. This doesn’t mean you must be secretive about yourself. However, you should also focus on your date. Try to balance your conversations by giving her an equal amount of time to talk. Remember, listening to your date is as important as talking or even more
- Giving inappropriate compliments: A common mistake men make on dates is going overboard with their compliments to the point of being inappropriate. Saying “you look very beautiful” is okay but saying “you have a sexy body” might be very inappropriate if you aren’t already sleeping together. Sure, some women might like such compliments, but it’s best to behave like a gentleman and avoid inappropriate compliments
- Acting needy: You may think that you have an amazing connection with the women you are seeing, but don’t get too needy. This is a basic mistake men make while dating. For all you know, she might not like you as much as you like her. By getting clingy too soon, you are only spoiling your chances. Keep your phone calls and texts to regular hours and low in numbers. In fact, playing a little hard-to-get by minimising contact might boost your chances
- Lying about you: It is normal to create a whole new identity for yourself but it should be within limits. In order to impress your date, an individual who can run 10 km can say that he ran 15 Km – no harm done. But someone who can’t run even 1 km without collapsing to the ground can’t and should NOT claim to be a marathon runner. The point is to try impressing her without deceiving her with your fake personality
- Asking, ‘How’s it going?’: This statement is an instant killjoy. No one likes to pause their date to gauge the progress. If you’re genuinely interested to know whether she’s having a good time, better wait for the date to end. Go back home and ask her through her a text message
- Fiddling with your cell phone: There is absolutely no place for ringtones and beeps when you’re on a romantic date. Unless it is an unavoidable call from work or from home, you shouldn’t spend time looking at your cell phone. Try spending that time looking into her eyes instead
- Having no plans: Women dread men who come on a date without a plan. A foolish mistake men tend to make is agreeing to meet on a known location and then simply asking the woman,“Where do you want to go?” As much as women like being independent, they like men more when they take charge of a situation
- Talking about your ex: Talking and asking about each other’s ex(es) is the biggest pitfall every dating guru has ever warned about. We all have a past. Chances are that you might end up bringing unpleasant memories and ruining your romantic mood. Find a pleasant and safe topic to talk about that will upset no one’s mood
- Accepting you’re nervous: Whether you have dated before or not, accepting that you’re nervous should only happen inside your head. Telling her that you’re nervous sets a poor impression. It shows you aren’t confident. And it kills any spark before it could even start
- Getting physically intimate too soon: This one is a no-brainer. Strangely, it still is one of the most common dating mistakes made by men. If you try to get into her pants too soon you will only make her feel like an object. If you like your date and want the relationship to grow wait for the right time to get physical. Let it happen naturally instead of trying to force it
- Saying, “How come a beautiful girl like you is still single?“: Say this line and you become an instant doofus. This is not a compliment. Rather you’re making her feel as if she is a desperate girl on a date parade. Just tell her “You’re looking beautiful” and it should do
- Reading out your resume: Men are socially conditioned to believe that their worth lies in their achievements. They also assume that women are impressed by a man’s socio-economic status. But never forget that you are dating her, not giving an interview. Try sharing instead some rare wisdom that you picked up while growing up or difficult life obstacles you overcame
- Waiting for her to make first move: If you feel that this is the 21st century and she is going to make all the moves, you are deceived. Women still like the old traditions – they like to be chased
- Bad-mouthing previous dates: Men should seriously stop recounting their early dating fiascos. The situation becomes really awkward. Your date starts wondering if she’s going to be the next anecdote. All her focus gets channelled towards this one thought and nothing else you say after that
- Giving up too soon: You might have made small dating mistakes like giving her a wrong impression by accidentally holding her hands too soon or waiting for her in a wrong location. But an even greater mistake would be to give up too soon on your date. If you liked her, then go ahead and apologise to her. Make it up
Well, that’s true. Dating isn’t easy. But there’s absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t look forward to it.
Here is some dating etiquette that will make your date a classic romantic experience.
10 dating etiquettes for men to keep it smooth and classy
- Be punctual: Being on time gives a good start to your date. It shows that you were looking forward to this date
- Work on your appearance: Your first impression actually has the potential to make a last impression on her mind. Take some time to dress appropriately for the occasion. It will show that you have put some effort for the date and will definitely make a good impression on her
- Be confident: From asking her questions to talking to the waiters, you cannot show that you’re nervous. The key to successful dating is confidence.
- Walk her to her home: This is an age-old tradition and still does wonders. If you have picked her up from her place then always make sure you drop her home. If she is taking a cab or the metro, then always walk her to the cab or the metro. The gentleman in you will surely make a good impression on the lady
- Don’t ask too many personal questions: It is good to ask questions to find out about each other. But asking too many personal questions will make your date more like a job interview. Try asking some interesting questions instead like – “What is the one thing you have done that you are very proud?” or “If the world were to end tomorrow, how would you spend your last day?“
- Try having fun: Dates are not always about food over a question-answer session. Try having some fun while getting to know each other. Share some jokes or funny childhood episodes. If you are outdoors, go to an adventure park or watch a horror movie
- Don’t try to win her: Most men try to win a woman over. They agree to anything she says or shower her with compliments. Try earning her affection instead. Be a little hard-to-get but interested in her at the same time
- Text her immediately after you get home: If you had a good time and are genuinely interested to know this lady, then text her as soon as you get home. Let her know that you had a good time. If she to had a good time, she will be more than happy to let you know. Sometimes men keep looking for a good time to text after a date, but as long as you have hit it, it is all good time
- Be the real you: No matter how smart, good-looking or attractive your date might be, she would always wish to know the real you. Be genuine in whatever you share about your life. Be true in your views, even if it means disagreeing with her. She is much more likely to fall for the real you than any other fake person you conjure up
- Paying the bill: There have been opposing views when it comes to paying the bill. Some dating experts believe that women still like it when men insist on paying the bill. Others feel that women may see it as an assertion of masculinity. It all depends upon the lady you’re dating. Is she is the assertive kind, it is better to ask if she wishes to go Dutch. If she is an old romantic, then probably you should insist on paying
All the best, gentlemen. Now go ahead and win your lady!