Tinder is a great way to meet new people in this digital age. How else would you meet, greet, love, and hookup with people when we’ve all had to cut down on human interaction due to the pandemic, two years of remote work, or even due to social anxiety? This is where dating apps come into play. Tinder is one of the most popular dating apps in this respect where you can meet new people virtually. But how to start a conversation on Tinder? This is something all of us who have used dating apps have struggled with.
Finding the right match on Tinder is not just about swiping right. It also depends on how you approach the person. And for that, you need to think of perfect ways to start a conversation on Tinder. A good conversation sets the tone right between both the parties, and also helps break the ice between two strangers meeting on a digital platform. You need to put a lot of thought into how to start a conversation on Tinder, as the approach is nowhere close to speaking to people face-to-face. Digital dating is different, and you need to up your game to stay ahead of the curve.
Tinder conversation starters are not easy, to say the least, especially for people who are new to this experience. It can be a nightmare for people with anxiety issues and a messy dating history. But we can help you with that. Read this blog to find out multiple ways in which you can use good Tinder conversation starters.
How To Start A Conversation On Tinder With A Guy
Guys outnumber girls on dating apps, and women across the world have to use many filters to solve this problem. But when you finally filter out the rest and are left with decent options, what do you do? How do you find the best Tinder conversation starters for a guy you actually like, regardless of your gender? Here are a few great examples to help you get in the flow:
- Hey, your travel photos are breathtaking. When did you visit Prague?
When you match with a guy who is an avid traveler, it is best to use their travel stories as Tinder conversation starters. It will make them feel like you have taken their profile seriously and read about their adventures in detail. This will help you stand out in the crowd of matches.
Related Readings: 5 Reasons Why You Should Travel With Your Partner
- Hey there, I think you are the first pilot I have come across on Tinder. I would love to know more about your exciting work.
Are you wondering how to start a conversation on Tinder with a guy you like – someone who has a very unique job profile? Maybe they’re a famous chef or you are planning on dating a pilot. How do you start such a conversation? You can start by making a nice comment on his job, or asking a curious question. It will make him feel you have given his profile a lot of thought, and that you actually like him. Such dating app conversation starters will set you apart from others.
- Hey, I am a huge Pink Floyd fan too. What is your favorite late-night calming song by the band?
This is how to start a conversation on Tinder with a guy who you share a similar taste in music with. Music is, after all, something that humans love to connect over. Keep it personal, because music is humbling and intimate for people, and gets the conversation flowing. Similar music choices are always great Tinder convo starters.
- I am new to the city. What is the one place that would make for an ideal date in your city?
If you are new to a city, then this is how to start a conversation on Tinder. If you match with a local guy from the city, you can ask him about his hometown, the culture, and his favorite place for a date. This will give him a chance to connect with you, as well as talk about his home.
Related Reading: 15 Newlywed Game Questions For That Instant Bonding
- I love the huge collection of books you have in the second picture.
Lovely are the men who love to read. This can be one of the best Tinder conversation starters. Compliment them on their book collection and talk about your favorite books, to start the chat up, close and personal.
- What is the best adventure you have had on your bike?
If you match with a guy who loves to ride a bike, then letting him know that you are interested in such adventures is one of the best ways to start a conversation on Tinder. Bike riders love to talk about their trips, just get them started!
- Oh, I see you cook. Have any suggestions for a quick dinner recipe?
Complimenting a guy on his cooking skills is sure to make him take notice of you. Though we would love for all men to cook, many of them don’t. So if you notice a man who does, start a conversation on that.
Related Reading: Couple Food Bloggers’ Secret Recipe For Romance
- What’s one assumption that you see people making about you that’s not true?
Everyone is judged unfairly. This question is personal, promises an interest in him, and even lets him know that you respect him enough to not make the same assumption about him that others do.
- What is the most attractive thing for you in a partner?
Everybody has a type of person they want to date, and asking them about it directly can be one of the best Tinder conversation starters. It can also help you break the ice.
- Hey, I love the cute doggo in your picture. Is the dog yours or your friend’s?
Dog lovers are adorable, and asking a guy questions about his dog makes for some great dating app conversation starters. Many dog parents can’t stop talking about their beloved friend, so you don’t have to worry about the rest of the conversation. He’ll take care of it for you. Best part? If you do hit it off, you will get to enjoy all the ways having a dog enhances your life and your relationship.
- What is one of the worst pick-up lines you have encountered?
We’ve all had bad conversations on dating apps. So, why not start a conversation about that? It can help set a light tone for the upcoming conversations you will surely have with each other.
- I am really new to this digital dating stuff. Do you have any clue on how to start a conversation on Tinder?
This line is cute and honest at the same time, and it will let the guy lead the conversation for you if you are new to the virtual dating life. It will help you ease into the process and maybe even teach you how to flirt on Tinder.
- What is the worst thing that has happened to you on a first date?
We have all been on bad dates, whether it involved getting stood up or finding out that it’s a fake profile. The quirkiest Tinder convo starters involve exchanging bad dating experiences and laughing with each other.
- The cat in that picture is adorable. You are not so bad yourself.
This line can be a great start when you want to take an indirect yet flirty tone to the conversation. You can pass the guy a cute compliment but not make it very bland or generic, which will make him notice you.
- I see you are an engineer-turned-artist. What was this change like for you? Care to share?
Many people have changed their careers drastically, and it always has a great background story to it. Bank upon such stories for they turn out to be nice Tinder conversation starters. What better way to start a conversation with a guy than getting to know the story behind the career choice that he’s displayed proudly on his profile?
- Hey! I am really glad that we matched. Do you have any plans this weekend? Let’s meet up?
Most people are free on the weekends, and that is when they usually go out on dates. You can choose this as your opening line and thus, be direct about your intention. Not all Tinder convo starters have to be quirky and flirtatious; you can go for the old-school direct way if you think the guy is a simple and straightforward human.
- I would love to know the crazy story behind that last photo.
We all put up our best photos on our dating profiles. If a guy shares an exciting picture of his travels, party pictures, or even crazy family photos, ask him about it. Some subtle personal questions that involve a story can be good Tinder conversation starters.
- What’s your worst nightmare about the virtual dating world?
We are all in the same boat when it comes to dating. Virtual dates have become a part of our everyday lives, but most of us have inhibitions about them. There are a ton of dangers and disadvantages of online dating. Asking a guy how he feels about this new-age virtual dating world can be a great start to a meaningful conversation.
- I am not very good with opening lines in the virtual space. Can I interest you in a real-time date?
Not all people are great at using pick-up lines. They keep wondering how to start a conversation on Tinder with a guy. Well, do not overthink it. Be direct and tell them you are better off with face-to-face dates and ask them out.
- If we crossed paths at a bar, would you have noticed me?
If you want to be honest and flirtatious at the same time, this line will work well for you. Guys ask out potential dates all the time in the real world, so start your chat with that idea and let them take the lead. This might end up with you receiving some interesting answers.
- Hey, I am terrible at texting. Wanna shift to a video call if you are comfortable with it?
Let’s face it, not all of us are great at texting and typing out messages. Some of us take days to type the right message and then send it. By that time, we might just get unmatched by the guy. If this describes you well, then it is better not to break your head thinking about how to start a conversation on Tinder. Just shift to another mode of communication where you don’t have to text.
- The rains today have really made me crave a good cup of coffee. Wanna join?
If you are someone who believes in coffee dates over virtual conversations, then this opening line is the right fit for you. Who doesn’t like a warm cup of coffee or tea on a cold, rainy day? Ask the guy out and enjoy the cozy day out in the rain.
- What are the five most essential apps on your phone? I hope Tinder is one.
This playful opening line can bring out a lot of fun and interesting stuff about the guy. If his answers are honest enough, you can probably get a better picture of his way of life.
- Oh wow! I love that Coldplay t-shirt, man! Have you been to any of their concerts? It is my dream to go one day.
This is one of the easiest ways to start a conversation with a guy. A love for a favorite band can always bring people closer. You can use this common ground to start chatting about the band and talk about your favorite songs and albums.
- I love that you have long hair. It looks great on you.
These days, a lot of men have long hair and they maintain them really well. They love getting compliments on their hairstyle, which can lead to a great discussion.
Tips to start a conversation on Tinder with a guy
Do not get intimidated if you’re making the first move while starting a conversation with a guy on Tinder. Here are some additional tips to ease the daunting journey:
- Show an interest in his profile: Start by asking interesting and quirky questions about the things mentioned in his profile
- Give a compliment: Give him a nice compliment, not necessarily on his looks. You can also compliment his life choices, reading habits, and more
- Keep it light: You are talking to an unknown guy so you can even start with an adorable joke, and instantly grab his attention
- Avoid talking about the past: Steer clear of any questions about his past relationships in the first conversation. Those are more for the third or the fourth date
- Be honest about your nerves: If you are nervous and new to virtual dating, then you can be upfront about it and tell the guy. That will help break the ice. And you never know, he might be equally nervous too
Related Reading: 15 Things Girls Always Notice On A Date
How To Start A Conversation On Tinder With A Girl
If you are a man who is trying to find a woman on dating apps, then the numbers are not in your favor. Statistics say that there are more men than women on dating apps, so you must put some serious thought into how to start a conversation on Tinder. Regardless of your gender, this is the most basic step that will keep the conversation going, and thus make you come across as more interesting. Here are a few opening lines to help you start:
- I love the t-shirt you are wearing in that picture. Harry Potter is my favorite too.
Women put a lot of thought behind the pictures they put up on dating apps. If she has shared a picture referring to Harry Potter, then chances are that she believes in the magic of that world. Harry Potter taught fans the true meaning of relationships – be they romantic or otherwise. So, conversations around it would make for great dating app conversation starters.
- What is your favorite pub in the city? I am new here. Wanna hang out in your favorite pub this weekend?
If you are new to the city and want to meet new people to go on dates with, then honestly, putting that out in the first conversation is a good idea. Being straightforward about it can be one of the best ways to start a conversation on Tinder.
- Oh! I see you are a solo traveler. What is the best and the worst experience you have had on these solo trips?
Women who travel solo are up for a lot of adventure and are fiercely independent. Striking up a conversation about their solo travel life will help you start an informal and unfiltered conversation on the get-go.
- You look like a musician who works with a lot of instruments. Which is your favorite among the lot?
If you are a music lover and have matched with a girl who is a musician, then music is one of the best Tinder conversation starters for you two. No point beating around the bush. Ask her directly about her passions.
- So, you are a vegan. What is your main philosophy for choosing this lifestyle?
How to start a conversation on Tinder with a health-conscious and environmentally-conscious woman? Play it smart, don’t judge, and try to understand the story behind her food choices, especially if she expresses an interest in speaking about it.
- Don’t judge me, but I still haven’t seen The Office or FRIENDS.
If her bio has a reference to a series that you have not seen yet, you can strike up a discussion about it. This might seem like a turn-off for some, but such chats can be good Tinder conversation starters for ardent series lovers.
- Hey! I wanted to tell you that I am dealing with a lot of mental health issues at the moment. Would that be a deal-breaker for you?
All of us have struggled with mental health issues at some point, but we are too shy to talk about it. It can be a lot to deal with. So, directly asking the woman you matched with if that bothers her, is a great start for an honest conversation.
- If you could go to one country for just a date, which place would that be?
If her bio says that she loves to travel, then this question is the right choice for her. Traveling to another country for a date seems like a wild idea, but you never know the kind of daydreams people have about their ideal dates. So, take the leap and ask away.
- I see you are a football lover. Wanna catch the game this Sunday?
While women are shamed and judged for not knowing more about sports; they are also judged for being too sporty. You can help break that bias and ask her out for a nice game on the weekend. Let this be one of your Tinder conversation starters, and pave the way forward.
- What made you swipe right on me? Please don’t say because I am cute, surprise me a little.
If you are the straightforward kind, then do not overthink how to start a conversation on Tinder. Just be direct, and ask the woman what exactly she liked about your profile that made her swipe right on you.
- Your bio tells me that you are a dog lover. I am too. I know this great dog cafe in the city. Wanna check it out in the evening?
True dog lovers can always bond over their shared love for their furry babies. You can ask her out on a date over her love for dogs, and also strike up an easy conversation with her on the way.
- Tell me about the best date you have had till now.
This opening line is a little personal. If you really like a woman and have a huge crush on her, then this one is just right for you. All of us have good and bad memories of dates we have gone on. Asking her about her best date experience is sure to put her in a good mood, and give her the idea that you really wish to know her. So, ask her about the first date that impressed her and the one that actually blew her away and swept her off her feet. This is also the perfect way to know what she likes and what she doesn’t.
- What is your best stress-buster after a hectic day at work?
Most of us are stressed out about our work lives. Talking about it can be one of the best ways to start a conversation on Tinder. Both of you might have some great insights to share and may strike up a light-hearted conversation about your respective jobs.
- I see you are from the city. I have just moved here for my Master’s. Would love to check out some cool places in the city. If you are up for it.
When you are new to a place, it is sometimes hard to understand the vibe of the people around you. If you find it difficult, it is best to let the other person lead the conversation. Simply ask more about their city, and hopefully, they would have a lot of nice things to say.
- I am not a stalker, but I just checked out your Instagram, and it has so many great photos of food! What’s your favorite cuisine, by the way?
Noticing all the signs of a foodie on her profile? Girls who love food also love talking about it. It can be a great way to Tinder conversation starters. If you are a foodie yourself, then your chat will immediately pick up, and you can take it from there. You can recommend restaurants to each other, and subtly ask her if she would like to accompany you to try the best hotdogs in town.
- I see you ran the marathon last year. WOW! I have always been fascinated by it, but never had the courage to go for it.
Sports or health buffs are generally keen on talking about their adventures. Get to talking about them, and gain a better idea about the woman. You can alter and change this line however you like, for any sports lover.
- I see you listed reading as one of your hobbies. I am a big reader myself. What is the last book you read, any suggestions for me?
Two book lovers matching on a dating site is sure to ignite some sparks. Book lovers are always passionate about the things they read and love to discuss them with fellow bookworms. In this case, don’t waste a second thinking about how to start a conversation on Tinder. Start talking about your common hobby directly. Maybe you can even be a little sly about it and ask her to recommend a love story you can read together. Now that’s one great idea for a date, isn’t it?
- Are you a beach or a mountain person?
Everybody has a type when it comes to vacation destinations. If you are shy about starting your conversation on a personal note or you don’t want to make the girl awkward, you can go ahead with this cute but informal question about their preferences.
- Oh my! You are super cute. How did we not meet sooner?
When you want to be a little flirtatious but also don’t want to come off as creepy, you can go for this adorable yet flirty line. Lines like these are not very generic and are also good Tinder conversation starters to get her smiling.
- What is your go-to comfort movie on a bad day?
All humans have that comforting movie that they love to watch on a bad day. Ask them about it, and you are sure to get some great stories about their life. If you are smart about it, you can even put on your movie date night outfit and directly ask them to watch the movie with you.
- Okay, weird question. But if animals could speak, which one do you think would be the most annoying?
Sometimes, it’s really cute to be a little goofy around a girl you like, especially if you’re wondering how to start a conversation on Tinder with her. This line is just that. Not too cheesy, not too desperate, just the right amount of goofiness.
- Name a cartoon character you had a crush on while growing up.
All of us have had cute relations with our favorite cartoon characters while growing up. Ask the girl you matched with about them, and some funny first conversations are in store for the both of you.
- What is the weirdest thing you have done during the lockdown?
When the pandemic hit and we all went into lockdown, we all did some crazy stuff to get by. Ask her about the things she has done and share some of your own, and have an unfiltered conversation.
- You are so beautiful. I think my pick-up lines are falling short.
Compliment the girl on how beautiful she looks and let her blush a little. This line is a little cheesy, but who doesn’t like a little cheese on special occasions?
- Do you prefer a cheesy pick-up line or should I just go with hey, what’s up?
This one is for when you want to be cute and honest at the same time. You can get to know what she prefers, and also be fully adorable at the same time.
Related Reading: Things Guys Do On Dating Apps That Instantly Creep Women Out
Tips to start a conversation with a girl on Tinder
Are you struggling to say the right thing when starting a conversation with a girl who swiped right on you? Here are a few tips from us to guide and inspire you:
- Take an interest in her name: People these days have a lot of interesting names. Ask about the origin and meaning of hers. Keep it smart and as short as possible
- Crack an original joke: You can even try your hand at sharing an original joke inspired by the things written in her bio. But make sure to keep it non-creepy
- Don’t be sexist: Do not make vulgar, sexual comments about her life choices, that is an absolute turn-off
- Talk about her favorite movie/series: If her bio tells you the kind of series or movies she likes, you can make up an original opening line inspired by that
- Talk about pets: If you can’t think of anything at all, ask her if she is a pet mom, or if she wants to be one. Who doesn’t like animals, after all?
We have carefully curated this list to help you ace your first conversation on Tinder. Now, you can stop overthinking about how to start a conversation on Tinder, take inspiration from our list, and get that date already. We understand that online dating can be harder for some people than meeting someone at a bar, but what to do? This is the current dating scene. You need to up your game to stay afloat in the dating world, and make the conversations go in your favor. Like they say, “First impressions last the longest.” So, keep that in mind when you send that first text.
When you are trying to be flirty on Tinder, make sure you are subtle. You can say something like, “I’m still single, in case you were wondering.”
If you want to spark your conversation, you can say something like, “Be honest, how long did you contemplate before texting me?”. This will mess with their minds a little, but can also be a great start for a conversation.
When we like someone, we tend to get awkward and mess up the situation. So, to not go down that lane, you can be direct instead and get the awkwardness out of the way. Go with something like, “I am not very good at opening lines. Do you want to give it a try?”