Remember your first crush? Somewhere around middle school maybe. They’d walk into the classroom. Heat would rise to your cheeks, and you’d try your best not to blush. They would say “Hi” and you’d stutter a “Hi” back while telling yourself “be cool, be cool.” There was no way you’d even consider the signs your crush likes you back.
We’ve all come far from the good old-fashioned days, but the experience of having a crush is the same at its core. Maybe you’re someone who has a crush on a colleague, or you’ve got the hots for your charming neighbor. I’m here to teach you about 27 sure-shot signs your crush likes you back, and not let them become another embarrassing story to tell at a party.
If you learn the art and science of picking up on these strong signs, you’ll have the answer to the question that plagues your mind: “How to know if my crush likes me without talking to them about it?”
27 Signs Your Crush Likes You – But Is Shy
Not everyone has the confidence of John Cusack in Say Anything when he expresses his feelings of love by blasting a jukebox outside Ione Skye’s window. In fact, nine times out of ten, people like keeping their emotions low-key. There are two reasons behind this: Firstly, they don’t know if their feelings will be reciprocated by their crush. Secondly, they don’t want to involve the general public in their private business.
It gets even harder to figure out someone’s deeper feelings if they are shy or introverted. Not a fool’s errand for sure. But a little attention to detail and a lot of patience can bear fruit when you are looking for good signs that your crush feels the same way.
Instead of daydreaming about a future with your crush, you should be deciphering whether they’re into you or not. Gaining this clarity might even be vital to your mental stability and emotional health. Thank God for these 27 signs your crush likes you, right? Off you go. Read this piece and put your dilemmas to rest.
Related Reading: 70 Questions To Ask Your Crush And Know Him Better
1. They have an elephant’s memory
Have you noticed if your crush makes random recalls of minuscule details about your life? Even things you may have mentioned in passing, like your dentist’s appointment, are lodged in their memory with surprising accuracy. This is one of the best signs that you are also the crush of your crush because it indicates that they are paying attention to your life. And if you catch them mentioning things they’d normally never know, you can delight in the fact that they’ve checked out your social media or had an idle conversation about you with someone else.
2. They are always eager to see you
When we like someone, we’re quite eager to spend time with them. Especially alone time. If your crush’s feelings show by their eyes lighting up at the prospect of hanging out with you, you can consider this a big plus. Wanting to spend time with you, even briefly, suggests a fondness for your company. They’re equally willing and happy to be with you. Signs of mutual attraction? I sure think so.
3. Your crush is very responsive to your calls and texts
We often say that nobody is ever too busy; it’s all about priorities. And that’s the key in your case. If your crush gets back to you without fail every time you contact them, take it as a sign. You must have a special place in their life. Now there are two ways to ascertain responsiveness.
- The first is by promptness of replies. You send a text and they respond immediately (maybe in five minutes). It almost seems like they were waiting for you to text
- The second texting habit of someone interested in you is that they make time to reply no matter what. Their schedule is jam-packed with work but they get back to you the minute they get free time
In both cases, the energy of their text matches yours. Responsiveness is one of the most dependable ways to know if someone likes you back.
Related Reading: Love Vs Like – 20 Differences Between I Love You And I Like You
4. They are willing to share personal details
For a shy person, sharing details about their life is a big milestone. They take their time to open up to people. If you’re one of the few they’ve let in, then it means you’ve gained their trust. When your crush makes extra effort to talk about their day, any problems they’re struggling with, or minor accomplishments, you can construe this as a development in your relationship status. Dating an introvert occurs in phases and you may just have cleared the first one.
5. You will see the attraction in their eyes
Samuel Richardson wrote, “When words are restrained, the eyes often talk a great deal.” Recently, a friend of mine was telling me, “My crush and his friends stare at me when talking together.” And she still wonders if he has feelings for her. At that moment, I told her what I am about to tell you, “The eyes, chico, they never lie!”
When you’re looking for body language signs your crush likes you, eye contact is all-important. If you catch them looking at you on random occasions, it indicates their preoccupation with your physical presence. A reader from Minnesota wrote, “My crush often stares at me from a distance in the office; he thinks I haven’t noticed. But I now have a solid hunch that he likes me more than I thought. His eyes gave it away!”
6. They are super duper helpful
There must be times when you ask your crush for help with something. What’s their approach toward the request? Are they very keen on wanting to help, even when unasked? If yes, then this is one of the signs that your crush likes you back. But please don’t confuse their inherently helpful nature with a specific desire to help you. There’s a difference between disposition and inclination.
7. “Does my crush like me back?” Yes, if they are always decked up for you
We tend to pay more attention to our appearance when there is a possibility of being around a romantic partner. If your darling is interested in you, they will put in a little more effort toward their appearance. Tell me if this sounds relatable to you:
- Their clothes are a little too fancy whenever there’s a possibility of you two meeting
- Their hair is all done or beard well-trimmed
- Their hygiene is impeccable
- In a manner of speaking, your crush will ‘clean up their act’
The next time you smell new cologne on them, consider the fact that it may have been applied just before they came to see you.
Related Reading: 35 Cute Questions To Ask Your Crush While Texting
8. They are a curious cat
Asking the right questions is a skill; it is also one of the signs your crush is starting to feel something for you. Because when we like someone romantically, we want to know more about their life in detail. Hence, your crush asks a lot of questions about your ambitions, your pets, family members and friends, favorite books and movies, and even how your day went. Taking this active interest in your life will give away their feelings. This is one of the obvious signs and you should definitely be doing a little happy dance right now.
9. Signs your person likes you back: They keep dropping compliments
Okay, this one is quite obvious – A subtle sign of flirting too. But allow me to clarify a few things; your crush compliments you in a manner that’s distinct from how they praise others. The compliments for you are personal in nature, and they are not a one-time thing. A coworker you like telling you that you look good is not really an indication of reciprocated feelings; it’s far too general. But a crush telling you “Did you do something different with your hair? It looks so good on you” is a cause for celebration.
10. Do they seem nervous when with you?
This is a big one. Do they act nervous around you? Changes in behavior around you can be the answer to how to know if someone likes you back, but is shy. It can go either way – Nervous shyness or nervous confidence. The former is driven by a desire to not do something silly, while the latter is an attempt to impress. Nervousness can manifest itself in slips of the tongue, blabbering, fidgeting, clammy hands, and bursts of awkward laughter. Just like Chandler Bing. Body language plays a role in healthy relationships, so look out.
11. Your crush has a million-dollar smile when they see you
Ah, what could be a better way of getting a hint of your crush’s feelings than that big smile on their face? It means that they’re fond of you and happy to see you around (you will observe them constantly smiling). Remember the following:
- A smile is a reflection of the friendship you share too
- It’s important to note if your presence is the one that causes the smile. Not when you catch them chatting and laughing with someone else in the canteen
- Or maybe they’re having a bad day when you walk into the room – Do they look at you and turn that frown upside down? If yes, revel in your triumph
12. If they are always teasing you, they are definitely into you
This is especially applicable if you have a crush on your best friend or are friends with your crush. Good-natured teasing is one of the classic signs that your crush likes you too. Poking fun at you is a gesture of intimacy at its core; a liberty that is taken because you both know each other that well. So the next time you both are having a fun time, be sure to observe them carefully. Chances are, they like you as more than friends.
Related Reading: 10 Things Girls Like To Hear Their Partners Say
13. They are attentive and a good listener
Your crush is attentive toward you and doesn’t get distracted when you are together. Here are the signs that prove my point:
- They don’t phub (phone-snub) you, talk to other people, or seem lost in thought
- They are maintaining eye contact as you talk
- They’re fully present in the conversation with you and paying attention
- By extension, they are a good listener because they have a genuine interest in what you have to say
- No interruptions, no self-centered conversations – Just plain old quality time
14. Are they very touchy-feely? Maybe they like you back
In no way do I mean breaching boundaries or violating consent. Being affectionate always goes hand in hand with a healthy respect for personal space. People generally tend to break the ‘touch barrier’ with romantic interest. It is a method of building emotional intimacy with a person. If they brush their hand against yours, make physical contact like warm hugs, ruffle your hair, and are physically comfortable with you, then it might be a sign. (wink wink)
15. They seek your opinion
This is a fantastic way of understanding how important you are to them. Think of this scenario: Your crush is out shopping for clothes and they are confused between two shirts. They send you a Snapchat asking what you think. This is a classic indicator that your opinion is valuable to them. This can happen in any setting where they will turn to you for advice or opinion. Super sweet!
16. They are a little green-eyed
Here’s my personal experience with healthy jealousy. I had a huge crush on a friend of mine during college. Assuming that my feelings were one-sided (and not wanting to ruin the friendship), I began exploring other options. I realized that my crush would stare at me from a distance whenever he saw me talking to a potential date. Confused, I confronted him about it a few days later. Long story short, we’re still dating. If your crush narrows their eyes when you mention others, you now know just what they feel.
17. Your crush mirrors you in many ways
What are the chances your crush likes you back? Well, this is the part that will give you absolute clarity. Much has been spoken about our tendency to ‘mirror’ our crushes, but what do we really mean? Let me explain.
- Mirroring is replicating actions on a subconscious level
- If our crush is sitting with their legs crossed, we might do the same when we are engaged in conversation with them
- Mirroring is one of the ultimate ways to find out if someone likes you but is shy to admit it
- If you have a catchphrase or certain abbreviations you love, don’t be too surprised if you find them adopting your language
Related Reading: 15 Reasons Your Man Never Texts You First But Always Replies To You
18. How to know if someone likes you back? They get very concerned for you
Do you ever feel like saying “It’s not that big a deal, I’m fine!” when your crush fusses over you? If they hear you’re running a fever, you can expect them to check in multiple times during the day through text. They might ask if you need something, or try to cheer you up online. These are all signs they are into you over text (and IRL). To recount the words of Morrie Schwartz, “Love is when you are as concerned about someone else’s situation as you are about your own.”
19. They are generous with the laughter
Come on, your jokes aren’t even that funny. But I bet your crush laughs out loud as if you’re the funniest soul to have ever trod the earth. It’s an adorable form of support, and bonding over humor is said to be a great relationship quality. If a silly pun sends forth a barrage of laughing emojis, and if the memes you share are received with a lot of enthusiasm, you’re looking at the signals of them crushing hard online!
20. Their body language gives away their feelings for you
It isn’t too hard to spot the body language signs when wondering, “Does my crush like me back?” Watch out for their posture and approach. Even if they are trying to suppress their true feelings and play it cool, their fondness for you will bubble up to the surface some way or the other.
- An ‘open’ body language is a positive indicator: When the arms or legs are not crossed in a defensive manner, and the person is open to receiving
- Note whether your crush is leaning toward you when you talk. This stems from an instinctual need to be close to the one we like
- And of course, are they flirting with their eyes? — It’s the strongest sign of all. If yes, we see you two being together pretty soon
21. Do they joke about you two dating?
Does your crush joke about the prospect of you two dating and wrap it up with an “I am kidding”? For instance, when you’re chatting on WhatsApp, do they text things like “You’re acting like you’re my partner”? I’m sure this is covered up with an “I’m kidding!” again. Both are signs they are into you over text. Hinting at a romantic relationship (even if it seems a bit weird) is good news for you. It means that this option has been considered by your crush quite a bit.
Related Reading: 17 Signs It’s Time To Stop Pursuing The Girl You Like And Back Off
22. They are supportive and encouraging
Cheerleader no. 1! Here comes one of the most wholesome signs that your crush likes you too – They are very supportive of your ambitions and dreams. They don’t hold you back or restrict you from trying new things. This is because they have complete faith in your ability to excel. Encouraging you at every point of the way is your crush who reciprocates your feelings.
23. They are respectful toward you
Here’s your reminder to not entertain anyone who doesn’t treat you right. A mark of true attraction is respect for the other individual. If your crush is genuinely into you, they will never exhibit any signs of disrespect, like:
- They won’t interrupt you as you speak or crack insulting jokes and laugh at your expense
- They won’t judge you for any part of your appearance. Body-shaming, no matter how casually done, is in no way a sign of respect
- Raising their voice against you is not even an option for them
- Similarly, any sort of manipulation or abuse will be absent in their conduct
24. Signs your crush likes you online — They almost confess on text
Have there ever been ‘almost confessions’? Maybe you two are texting late into the night and they start to build up to the subject. Unfortunately, they backtrack, change the topic, or leave the conversation midway. But you could’ve sworn that they were about to admit their feelings. Frustrating, isn’t it? As annoying as they are, it means your crush is crushing on you but is shy to tell you so.
25. They are kind and inclusive toward you
Gone are the days of romanticizing mean people. If you are still subscribing to the thought that being ill-treated is a form of love, quit doing so – Now! A true sign of two-way affection is kindness. Your crush is compassionate and understanding of your behavior and decisions. They also try to include you in their life. When you are a part of a group chat, they try to rope you in and make you feel acknowledged. This is a kind of love language too.
26. They are ready to make compromises for you
It’s true that we don’t go out of our way to make every random person happy. If your crush is willing to make adjustments for you by stepping out of their comfort zone every now and then, it clearly shows that they have a thing for you. They either love spending time with you or they just want to make you smile, selflessly. So, keep an eye out for such incidents:
- They don’t mind doing things they don’t necessarily like, as long as it makes you happy. This is a very sweet way of showing that you may be a priority in their life
- They would always try to align their schedule with yours to never miss a chance to meet you
- They might show their feelings through small romantic gestures like cooking for you or bringing you flowers
Be sure to do the same and make tiny compromises too. Next time you wonder “Does my crush like me back?”, you already know your answer.
27. Your crush is sincere in their approach
How to know if my crush likes me without talking to him, you ask? Honesty is a priceless quality, but you already knew that. What you need to see is whether your crush is honest with you. If they follow through on promises, don’t lie about trivial things, and don’t fake aspects of their personality, you can heave a sigh of relief. This means that they are their most authentic self around you. What could matter more?
Please tell me you got what you were looking for. Hopefully, you checked more than seven boxes of the signs your crush has feelings for you. There can be other signs as well but, hopefully, now you know how to pick them. If you are convinced about the mutual attraction, you can broach the subject with your crush directly. Make the brave first move by asking them out on a date!
On the other hand, if you’ve discovered that your crush doesn’t think of you romantically, worry no more. Your peachy fantasies have been cut short for sure, thus preventing you from getting invested in them. You have to deal with feeling bummed out right now, but congratulations on having avoided a world of hurt. Surf the single wave and enjoy every bit of it.