Selecting a partner to date can be daunting because you want to make the right choice. You want someone who is there for you and understands you inside and out. The profession a person picks can say a lot about their personality and that’s why it is an important aspect to be kept in mind while picking a life partner. Medicine is considered to be one of the noblest professions, and for good reason. Doctors are known to be intelligent and hardworking. This is why we believe that dating a doctor at least once in your lifetime is a good idea.
Challenges And Problems Of Dating A Doctor
When one pictures a doctor, they imagine a person wearing a lab coat who has acquired the skill of saving the lives of people after years and years of hard work. A doctor’s knowledge, intelligence and sheer confidence is something that makes him/her desirable. However, life when dating a doctor is not free from challenges. Dating a doctor is hard.
Only someone who has a high degree of patience and respect for the profession can actually make it work. One should enter into a relationship with a doctor only after understanding them –
- Dating preference of doctors A majority of doctors prefer dating fellow doctors because their wavelengths match. Due to this, people belonging to other professions may not be preferred by doctors and this can create issues in their relationships in the future as well. If doctors fall in love with people outside the medical field, it requires a lot of understanding to make the relationship work
- Time constraints Dating a doctor is hard as they hardly have time for family and friends. Their job comes first and that might make their spouse feel left out. Even if you start dating a doctor, you will notice that managing time can become a big hurdle. There are high chances of plans getting cancelled last minute as your partner is on call. This is one of the biggest challenges of dating a doctor
- You make all the plans You might always have to initiate plans and the burden to keep the relationship moving forward might mostly fall on you. This is because your partner is busy with his/her professional life most of the time. And even then, there is no guarantee that your doctor spouse would be able to make it. This might become exhausting and frustrating for you in the long run. But alas, this is life when dating a doctor
- Your doctor partner might be tired most of the time Even if you succeed in making plans with your partner, you will notice that he/she is too tired to enjoy the time spent with you. This is obvious because as a doctor, their work-life can be extremely hectic
- A doctor’s profession is always his/her priority A doctor is pretty much committed to his/her work and professional ethic, due to which you might not be the top priority in his/her life. But that does not mean that he/she does not love you; it is just that saving the lives of other people is his/her top priority
- His/her area of specialisation may bother you If he/she is someone who examines private body parts of male/female patients, then it might bother you, since you are only human. However, it is your partner’s career, so you must be understanding
- Sexually attracting a doctor is a task A doctor is someone who is dealing with human bodies on a daily basis, so it is definitely a challenge to come up with out-of-the-box and innovative ways to catch the attention and sexually attract your doctor partner
- Beware of mood swings A doctor deals with different kinds of people and has to face strange situations, due to which his/her mood may fluctuate. So you have to deal with the mood swings as well
No doubt, dating a doctor can be hard. Yes, you may face problems when dating a doctor, but it still comes with its own perks. No relationship is easy and these challenges should not deter you from dating a doctor who is genuinely interested in you. As partners, you both can create a level of understanding and still make your dating life fun and exciting. Ultimately, the success of the relationship depends on you two.
Related reading: Communication mistakes couples make
8 Reasons You Should Date A Doctor In Your Lifetime
A majority of people are of the opinion that dating a doctor is hard because of their unpredictable, busy schedule and taxing professional life. But on the other hand, there are others who prefer dating a doctor. This is because doctors are widely respected and applauded for the hard work they put in. Their spouses and partners play an important role in supporting doctors so being with a doctor makes you special too. Here are 8 reasons you should date a doctor in your lifetime for sure
1. Doctors are extremely good listeners
A doctor is extremely patient. They will always listen to what you have to say and give you the chance to voice your opinion. This is actually because doctors are trained in a profession that requires them to function with the utmost patience. Taking a hasty decision can result in the loss of a life and hence being patient and clam becomes second nature to doctors. This is how they are extremely composed in relationships as well.
2. Your health is his/her priority
The plus point of dating a doctor is that you do not have to worry about your health because they’ve got your back. They understand the true value of life in general. Thus, they will deal with any health issues swiftly and diligently.
3. A doctor is highly stable financially
A well-established doctor enjoys financial stability in life, which means that as his/her partner you do not have to worry about making ends meet. Financial stability will ensure that financial issues that generally crop up in the life of other couples will have low chances of ruining your relationship. You will lead a financially secure life.
4. Your life becomes interesting due to their presence
As a doctor’s partner, you are bound to know about fascinating medical discoveries, unique illnesses and shocking miracles that he/she might have experienced in life. They may share stories of how they helped give a new lease of life to someone or how miraculous it was when a couple had a baby after years. This means that you can live vicariously through their wonderful experiences and can even increase your medical knowledge
5. A doctor is not afraid to commit
If you are someone who is looking for a long-term relationship, then you should think about dating a doctor. Since a doctor puts in so much effort and commitment to achieve their dream, it shows that they do not take things lightly and understand the value of dedication. So a doctor will remain committed to the relationship and not fool around. Therefore, you should also ensure that you are ready to commit before you start dating a doctor.
6. A doctor is experienced in solving issues
You can completely depend on your doctor partner to solve problems because he/she is an expert at resolving difficult matters. A doctor is someone who is pragmatic and has a realistic outlook towards most things. This helps solve problems efficiently.
7. You tend to become a better person
While dating a doctor, you tend to become a better person, because you start adopting good traits like patience, hard work, listening to someone genuinely, thinking smart, etc., from your partner. Dating a doctor can lead to some serious character development.
8. A doctor is low maintenance
You don’t necessarily need to be extravagant or spend too much of your money or time to make your doctor partner happy. This is a huge perk of dating a doctor. All you have to do is be sincere in your efforts. Even the smallest gesture of love is enough to sweep your partner off his/her feet.
The respect and dignity that your doctor partner is able to garner from the society is something that you should be proud of. There’s nothing like it if your relationship with a doctor turns out to be prosperous. Here are a few tips on how to date a doctor successfully and make your relationship blossom.
8 Tips To Date A Doctor Successfully
It is not only those who belong to the doctor community who must understand the nitty-gritty of hospital life. Their partners should also know what hospital life entails to enable to handle their relationship. If you are falling for a doctor and do not know what to do, then go through this list of tips to dating a doctor, designed especially for you so that you can deal with all the challenges of dating a doctor. Read on..
1. Learn to be as flexible as possible
First and foremost, you have to be flexible with your time and plans. Your doctor partner might not always have time. You should anticipate lat minute cancellations and rescheduling of plans. Always make backup plans so that you both can spend time with each other as and when possible. Do not stick to a strict routine when it comes to fixing dates and plans with your partner. As they say, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
2. Do not annoy your partner with continuous calls/texts
As a doctor, your partner will be busy treating his/her patients or conducting surgeries on the patients all day long. So instead of continuously calling or texting them, what you can do is give them space. Wait for them to call and text you during their free time instead of bombarding them with calls and text.
3. Always be there for your partner
A life of a doctor is immensely stressful. Therefore, there will be lots of occasions in which he/she will need your support. As his/her partner, you have to make sure you are always there for them and lend a helping hand as and when required.
4. Avoid any getting into arguments with your partner
A healthy discussion/debate with your partner is a good, but whenever the discussion takes the form of an argument or conflict, you must avoid it. Do not challenge your partner’s patience and try to pick your battles wisely. Fighting for no reason is harmful for both partners.
5. Learn to be happy even if you are alone
Being in a relationship with a doctor means you will have to be okay with the idea of being alone sometimes. Being apart from your partner is something that will become a part and parcel of your life when you opt to date a doctor. But remembering the fact that while you are alone, your doctor partner is saving other lives can actually help you cope with the loneliness. This can actually be a good thing as it can teach you a lot about self-love and being comfortable in your own company.
6. Try to find happiness in small moments
You definitely do not have the luxury of spending your time lavishly when dating a doctor. What you can do is try to find happiness in the small moments you spend together. For example, you can go shopping together, have your meals together or work out together. These little moments that you spend with him/her should be enough to make your relationship stable and stronger.
7. Avoid showing up at the hospital without notice
Sure, you can surprise your doctor partner once or twice you by visiting them at the hospital. But do not make this a habit. A hospital is their workplace where they have to concentrate on patients. You cannot afford to distract them and it might dishearten you if you go to visit them and they fail to give you time.
8. Do not get bothered by your partner’s speciality
Whether your partner is a general physicist who has family-friendly working hours, a gynaecologist dealing with sensitive female body parts or an anesthesiologist, it should not bother you. Respecting and valuing his/her speciality is extremely important for his/her partner.
So, can you date a doctor? Are you ready for all that it entails? Do not start a relationship with a doctor if you are just interested in his/her prestige or paycheque. You have to be committed to the relationship genuinely. Without this the chances of your relationship working out are slim. As his/her partner, you have to make sacrifices and adjustments and try to understand their life and work commitments. However, if you really feel a connection with a doctor, don’t be afraid to fall in love. After all, love is worth battling all odds.