Imagine this scenario: With a happy heart, you express your love for someone, but then you get rejected. The rejection is not because the one you love dislikes you, but because that person does not feel the same about you. You get caught in the maze of one-sided love or unrequited love.
Unrequited love can leave one in despair, because you care for someone who does not feel the same way.
This was all just imagination. However, if you are facing this situation in your love life, then do not worry, as we put forward 8 tips to make one-sided love successful in this particular article.
What is one-sided love?
One-sided love is a feeling of longing for someone who responds with only indifference. In short, one-sided love can be referred to as an infatuation and attraction to someone who does not reciprocate your feelings. A person who experiences one-sided love has this hope deep inside his/her heart that one day that someone will love him/her back.
The person you have fallen for lives in a different city, or maybe too old or young for you to make a match. He or she may have feelings for someone else, or may just not be ready for a relationship as yet. Unrequited love can leave one in despair because you care for someone who does not feel the same way.
Related reading: What is it about one-sided love that keeps us hooked?
One-sided love is even possible between couples who are in a relationship as well, where one partner loves with 100% dedication and the other partner hardly cares. The beloved might either consciously reject the one-sided lover or might not even have the slightest clue about the admirer’s romantic affection.
Signs You Are In One-Sided Love
After getting to know what unrequited love entails, it is time to look out for the following signs of one-sided love so that you know where you stand in your love life.
- One-sided love makes you feel drained and not loved because you commit everything to it, whereas you get nothing fruitful and fulfilling in return
- You never get the priority that you deserve and you just keep living in your fantasy world
- You keep making excuses to meet the person you love because only seeing him/her makes your day
- Even if your beloved shows signs that he/she is not interested in you, you keep hoping that he/she will love you back one day
- You probably keep stalking the social media profiles of the beloved and keep close track of all his/her moves
- You get depressed and unhappy very easily, especially if the person you love ignores you or fails to text/call you back
- You keep inquiring about him/her from mutual friends and get disappointed when you do not get much information
- You are the one who is always initiating conversations with him/her. Your love interest is never the first one to call or text. And if you wouldn’t either, there would be no communication
- The beloved seems perfect to you, despite his/her flaws. You are in love with all the good and bad things in your love interest
- The priority of other relationships in your life diminishes and you give all importance to that beloved only, although the only thing you get in return is pain
One-sided love is hurtful because you keep wasting your time and energy on someone who does not even bother to consider you. But then it does not have to be all that bad. You can try to make the one-sided love work when you feel that it is worth it.
How To Make One-sided Love Successful?
Pain, hurt, and heartbreak that results from relationships can be dealt with in many ways, but what about the heartbreak that results from relationships that never were?
Evaluate your one-sided love and take a thoughtful and honest decision about it. Do you want to let it go or make it successful? If you chose the latter, then here are the 8 tips that will serve as a guiding light to you.
1. Understand it is not your fault, it is the situation
When we fall for someone who does not feel the same about us, the first thing that we do is look for faults in ourselves. That is so not right! Stop blaming yourself for not being good enough, and accept the fact that it is just the situation that is wrong- not you. All of us are wired differently and like different things, just like food and clothes. So if someone does not feel the same way for you as you do for them, understand that you are in a situation that you cannot control. And accept it.
2. Sort out your feelings
Be sure about your feelings. Get in touch with your inner self and know if you want to make the one-sided love into a two-sided one. Most one-sided lovers regret pursuing their beloved because they realise later that their love is not true. So decide for yourself and move ahead only when you are sure about your feelings.
3. Keep communicating with him/her
To make you’re beloved realise your value, you need to communicate with him/her regularly. Do not become too desperate, but give him/her space and time to respond. Through your conversations with your beloved, let him/her know that you are thereby his/her side always.
4. Try to become a good friend to your beloved
Before you think about starting a relationship with someone, you must become his/her good friend. This is true for even a one-sided lover like you. So first and foremost become a good friend to your beloved and earn his/her trust. Only when your beloved gets to know you completely as a person, will he/she be able to think about the prospect of being in a relationship with you.
Related reading: How to cope if your crush is already in a relationship
5. Do not become overly obsessed
It is very unhealthy for you if you let one-sided love consume you completely. Therefore, you need to make clear boundaries. Let the person you love to know about your feelings and make him/her realise your worth. Make your beloved believe that you are not obsessed with him/her but like him/her genuinely. If you become overly obsessed, then he/she might ignore you entirely.
6. Make your beloved see the best in you
This does not mean that you have to go overboard and do fancy things to impress your beloved. It just means that you have to be true to yourself and help you’re beloved to understand you better. Do not try hard to hide your flaws, because you must let your beloved know you inside and out. In this way, probably he/she will be able to connect to you.
7. Respect and care for your beloved
To make your beloved reciprocate your feelings, you have to respect him/her in all aspects of life and learn to accept him/her with all your heart. Shower your beloved with appropriate care and love, so that he/she realises your true value.
8. Be there for the person you love
You must be there for your beloved, especially during bad times. By supporting him/her through tough times and being by his/her side even during the good times, you will be able to make an indelible imprint on his/her mind. Supportiveness is one characteristic that people usually look for in a potential partner.
Remember you alone cannot make the one-sided love successful. The other person also has to make efforts to do the same. However, you have to reassure your beloved that the relationship is going to work out between the two of you and that you truly love him/her.